Railroad Forums 

• E-7 roof details

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#113052  by bill8106

I had this posted on the NYC forum for the last few days without any definitive answers, I'm hoping there is an EMD and/or first generation expert out there that can anwer this mini-mystery...thanks in advance....

Most pictures of NYC E7s show a relatively smooth roof line, with the horns, cooling grids, exhaust stacks, etc causing only minor blemishes to the roof line.

But I've seen some pictures where there appears to be "fins", or some type of extensions, that rise up in the front and rear of each cooling grid.

Anyone know else notice this or know what this is?

#115300  by TerryC

I think I know what you are talking about. Those "fins" I belive are used to channel the steam from the steam generator away from the cooling grids. Without this, the steam could possibly freeze on to or get inside the cooling grids.

keep asking keep learning
Last edited by TerryC on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#147140  by mxdata

The E7 locomotives use rather small 26 inch diameter cold-side cooling fans which are belt driven from the engines. The radiator air outlets were quite large, with either longitudinal slotted grilles or heavy wire guards, and the air velocity coming out was not high enough to prevent leaves and snow and lots of dead bugs from getting into the trailing end of the radiator chamber at high speed. The roof mounted spoilers were intended to create turbulence in the air flow over the outlet which helps deflect snow, leaves and bugs, and also makes the fan a bit more effective by lowering the pressure on the outlet side of the radiators slightly. Since a unit might be running cab leading or cab trailing depending on how the consist was made up, deflectors were put both ahead and behind each radiator outlet. Several railroads tried similar deflectors on their E7 locomotives, some seemed a bit higher off the roof and more noticable than the NYC. I have never found any parts reference to these deflectors in Catalog 90 (that covers the E7), so I think they were either railroad built modifications or were built by aftermarket suppliers.

The cooling system arrangement of the E7 was one of the major design weaknesses of the locomotive (for more information read the precautions in an operators manual about running with one engine shut down) and it was a reason for the total redesign of the fan and radiator arrangement in the development of the E8. The belt and chain drives on the E7 also took lots of assembly and alignment time, on the E8 you just bolted down the roof hatch and connected the cables for the cooling fans. Bill8106, if you are in the Northeast, I would like to suggest that you watch for a program called WHAT'S IN THOSE COVERED WAGONS being shown to some railfan groups in the New England area, it compares the design progression and features of the various models of EMD E-units and F-units with the ALCO covered wagons, including the DL-109, FA and PA units.

#152709  by bill8106

Mxdata, thanks for the information, and I will look out for that program.

I guess what is most surprising and interesting to me about your post is that the deflectors were most probably a retro-fit. Also, do you know how they were operated.....were they manual or automatic? If manual, were they controlled by the fireman?

thanks again for your response

#152763  by mxdata

The deflectors were bolted down to the carbody roof along the edge of the radiator outlet guard. Units with the deflectors normally have the outlet guard changed to open wire grid rather than longitudinal slots. I am not aware of any "operating" provision to raise or lower them, once they were installed, they were fixed in that location.

As I noted in an earlier post, I do not see any listings for these in Catalog 90, but I have not gone through all the General Service Bulletins (the prdecessors of the Maintenance Instructions) to see if there is any mention of them in the GSB's. The GSB's started in the 1930s and ended about 1953, covering the period of production of the E7. The MI's took over from there.

I believe that WHAT'S IN THOSE COVERED WAGONS is being shown at the Amherst Railway Society (Mass.) at their November meeting.