Railroad Forums 

• First CP GP20ECO

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1114412  by JayBee

The first of 30 GP20ECO locomotives for CP was pushed out back of EMD-Muncie where a fan could photograph it. CP GP20ECO #2207 is the first new EMD GP series locomotive built since SP GP60 9794 was built in January 1994. CP has firm orders for 30 locomotives and options for 167 more.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/416623

Congratulations to Brian Marsh for the first photograph.
 #1114471  by D.Carleton

I can't count the fans. How can it be an EMD if I can't count the fans? It's sorta like an EMD from an alternate universe. Call it "EMD-ish."
 #1114483  by JayBee

From that photograph I can count three radiator and one dynamic brake fan.
 #1114562  by MEC407

Rear view: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=416671

The captions in all of these photos refer to it as a GP20C-ECO. Folks on LocoNotes are referring to it as GP22ECO. Anyone know what this beast is actually called? Is this a case of EMD having a model name(s) and the railroad deciding to call it something else (e.g. SD32ECO vs. SD59MX vs. SD59M-2 -- same loco, three different names)?
 #1114598  by D.Carleton

scottychaos wrote:I hope that D.Carlton is just kidding..
Scot
Well, yes and no. When I was young and 'learning my Geeps' the easy part was counting the radiator fans: two big ones and a little one for a GP35, two big ones for GP38, three big ones for a GP40, etc. I would be curious to know why they went with an almost flush design for the fan assemblies.
 #1114602  by MEC407

I've seen similar designs on locomotives that were built to be used in electrified territory or in areas with unusually low clearances. I assume that doesn't apply in this case.
 #1129975  by JayBee

Six GP20C-ECO locomotives were delivered to CP on January 5th, and were then moved to the shop at St. Paul, MN. to be setup for service. The first 6 were 2210 - 2215. They are scheduled for use on the Soo Line and DM&E.
 #1204182  by Engineer Spike

Recently I had to call the CP "Diesel Doctor" which is the mechanical help desk. A lady answered. I asked her what craft she came from. She told me that she is an engineer, who helps decide the specifications for new power. I told her that I was displeased with the GP20ECO having CCB brakes, as it will be harder to spot cars. The electronic brake valves respond slower, and have no feel. I'm sure they were looking at the 184 day inspection cycle when they placed the order.

I'll keep the 7300 series GP38-2s!
 #1347064  by Engineer Spike

This thread died, but I ran a GP20ECO for the first time, so here are my thoughts. The cab layout could have used some input from those of us who run them. I'll admit that the GP9 fleet was well past it prime, and replacements were necessary. Anything would be an improvement, especially if they had rebuilt some old GP38/40 units, like BNSF recently did.

The units have one FIRE screen. It is below the front engineer's window, with a little table under it, much like our ES44 fleet. The screen should be on top of the control stand. Since these units are used alone on locals, viewing the screen easily in both directions would have been useful. Apparently I should have my DNA rearranged for eyes on both ends of my skull.

The side windows are at my armpit height (average 5'9" build). This is not helpful for leaning out to see motions from trainmen (Most of the new hires don't know how anyway, and the bosses convinced them to use the radio, so they can efficiency test from the office).

The seat lines up well with the post between the engineer's window, and the center one. The seat should be closer to the wall, or even better, the window moved inward some. It gets tiresome leaning sideways to see out the windshield.

The control stand ought to be back some because it would help running in reverse. It should be like the NS sidewinders, which are easy to run either direction.

I already mentioned my dismay at the use of CCB, vs. 26L, or 30 airbrakes, but they are now carded for 184 day inspection intervals.

The radio needs to be at full volume. Even the GP9, with lack of soundproofing was quieter, and more pleasant to listen to.

The light switches have the little icons, instead of labels. EMD borrowed this from Detroit, where the motorist doesn't necessarily have to be able to read. CP might be part to blame because the last few orders have everything labeled in English and French. GE manages using actual words instead of picture icons. The 8900, and 9300 classes of ES44s have the software to toggle the display screens between the languages.

I already has a SD30ECO, and feel they should have just rebuilt the SD40-2 in kind. I'm not impressed! I've always been a big Chevy fan. Until the ES series, the over glorified toaster ovens we're quirky to run, with loading rates measured in millennia. GE has started to get it right, while EMD seems to regress, as far as user friendliness goes.
 #1347118  by MEC407

Thanks for the report!

It would be great if a hogger from NS could find this thread and offer a comparison with their Juniata-built ECOs with the NS-designed cabs. I suspect the differences would be interesting.