Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1474162  by BAR

Any suggestions as to hotels near Central Station in Montreal? Interested in moderately priced accommodations for one night after arrival on The Adirondack with return following morning. Thanks very much for any suggestions. (I have also posted on this forum at "Must see & Ride in Montreal but post did not move to the top of the forum as usual so reposting)

BAR
Williamsburg, VA.
 #1474242  by NS VIA FAN

Although not moderately priced….The Queen Elizabeth is located directly above Central Station and the elevator drops right to the Concourse Level. This is a former CN Hotel….now a Fairmont.
 #1474243  by NS VIA FAN

Also above Central Station covering the tracks approaching from the south is the Hotel Bonaventure….and just a block away is the Marriott Chateau Champlain….a former CP Hotel.
 #1474244  by NS VIA FAN

IMO the best place to watch trains is at VIA’s Dorval Station located on CN’s busy Montreal-Toronto mainline about 10 mile west of Montreal and easily reached by commuter train and transit. VIA’s trains to Ottawa also use this route. CP’s mainline is adjacent with RTM (now EXO) commuter trains to the west island. The adjacent Marriott Fairfield Inn is moderately priced and offers an excellent view. Request a room high at the rear:
 #1474663  by gaspeamtrak

NS VIA FAN wrote:Also above Central Station covering the tracks approaching from the south is the Hotel Bonaventure….and just a block away is the Marriott Chateau Champlain….a former CP Hotel.
I second the "Bonaventure Hotel" My wife and I stayed about a month ago for about $340 bucks Canadian for TWO nights taxes included !!! Ask for a room around Room "1211 Had a great view of the approach to Central Station below you !!! I will be staying there again !!! :-) :-D :-) :-D
 #1475137  by Bob Roberts

+ 1 on the Boneventure. It has been reasonably priced when I have needed it and I have found the rooms to be above average quality -- I like it better than the Hyatt which is several blocks away. Watch out for courtyard rooms, they are very quiet, but obviously no good for rail fanning.
 #1476221  by BAR

Thanks for the suggestions. We have made a reservation for the Hotel Bonaventure.

BAR
 #1477034  by NS VIA FAN

Here’s the Hotel Bonaventure located on the top 3 floors of Place Bonaventure above the south approach to Gare Centrale. In the first photo below…the rooms (windows at the top) offer a great view of arriving/departing trains on the viaduct and the interior facing rooms overlook the roof top gardens.
 #1485844  by Engineer Spike

I'll give some input, since Montreal has been my away from home terminal for most of my career. Dorval is neat, since it overlooks both the CPR, and CNR lines. Another good point is that there is a good hobby shop about a mile away. The down side is that things are set up mostly for the traveler. By this, my opinion is that nicer places to eat are not as handy. There are bus routes, and you could ride AMT elsewhere, specifically downtown.

If I was going to go, my advice would be to stay a bit closer to downtown. My taste is not to do trains 24/7. Nothing says that your need to spend $$$$$$ to stay at The Bonaventure, or QE. There are more moderately priced places there too. Of course this has drawbacks too. Mainly driving and parking are a pain. Even if you plan to leave your car in the hotel's parking facility, it will cost.

This is why my recommendation is to go just outside of the downtown area. Both major railroads board their crews in a hotel on Boulevard Decarie. This hotel is about a 4 star establishment. There are many advantages. First, it is easily accessed from all the major highways. Secondly, there are both fast food, and nice sit down places nearby. If your do some exploring of the local neighborhoods, you can find some mice ethnic restaurants. The prices are more reasonable than the ones which target tourists and business travelers. Another plus is that the airport is still near, and you can travel the city easily. there are metro stops within a block or so, along with bus routes.