Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1465473  by R36 Combine Coach

Does VIA have a "diner lite" program much like Amtrak's Amfleet II on some overnight Eastern routes? From what I've read, the Renaissance dining cars on The Ocean are a form of diner lite program, as they lack a full kitchen (as with the Amfleet II diner/lounges) and the meals are premade. Has VIA considered expanding diner lite concepts to other routes?
 #1465497  by mdvle

Simple answer is there will be no changes made on the corridor services until the new equipment arrives.

Whether a diner type service is considered will depend on what they decide to order for new equipment but I would be surprised if they did. Hard to justify hauling that extra equipment for a relatively short route, and they already provide hot meals to business class and the ability to purchase cold food options in economy.
 #1465511  by electricron

A better term we should use for Renaissance dining cars would be "Table Cars". The kitchen or galley is in the Service car that more matches what Amtrak calls on the Acela and Cascades trains' Bistro cars.

I don't think most people recognize the size differences between Renaisssance vs most North American Class 1 passenger cars until they board them.
A typical Budd built Superliner car dimensions are:
85 feet long, 16 feet high, and 10 feet wide (13,600 cubic feet)
A typical Budd built streamlined passenger car dimensions are:
85 feet long, 13.5 feet high, and 10 feet wide (~11,475 cubic feet)
A typical Renaissance car (British Rail Mark 4) dimensions are:
75.5 feet long, 12.5 feet high, and 9 feet wide (~8,490 cubic feet)
A typical Talgo self articulated car dimensions are:
43 feet long, 12 feet high, and 9.5 feet wide. (~4,900 cubic feet)
All dimensions rounded to the nearest half foot.
 #1465535  by dowlingm

My understanding is that the Rens are not ageing gracefully and that steel side stock usually reserved for Christmas demand is currently in service.

Meanwhile the Federal Transport Minister is teasing some sort of announcement tomorrow:
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... entre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1465607  by NS VIA FAN

The meals served on the Ocean are far from ‘Diner Lite’ They are full service, heated onboard in convection ovens (not microwaves) and very good. Here is Dinner departing Moncton three weeks ago:

-the Ocean’s Signature ‘thick’ Seafood Chowder along with a couple of passes of the bread basket with your choice of three types of hot bread.
-I had the Apple Pork Tenderloin with vegetables.
-For dessert: Mille-Feuille….and it’s all in the presentation: note the server took the time to do ‘VIA’ in a chocolate swirl on the side of the plate!
Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1465611  by NS VIA FAN

dowlingm wrote:My understanding is that the Rens are not ageing gracefully and that steel side stock usually reserved for Christmas demand is currently in service.
A Budd is substituting for one of the two Ren consists on the Ocean.

I specifically scheduled my trip three weeks ago to ride the Renaissance consist that is still operating.. The interiors of the Budd consist from the late ‘80s HEP I rebuilding are starting to look quite ‘tired’ and say what you will about the Rens….they provide a much more solid and smooth ride compared to the rattle and vibrate of those old Chateau Sleepers!

Last fall when VIA substituted a Budd consist for a Ren…..they received quite a backlash when they placed those who had booked single occupancy of a Ren Bedroom now in a Chateau ‘Cabin for one’ (old style Roomette) . VIA then had to bring in additional Manor cars so everyone would have the Bedroom they had originally booked. Frankly….I used to like riding in a roomette and especially in an upper duplex…but now find the toilet in the same room digesting along with the thought of all that surrounding carpet !!

The GF of a co-worker took their young son to Campbellton for March Break…going up on a Budd coach and returning on a Ren. When we picked them up the only thing she liked about the ‘old train’ as she called it was the being able to take the little fellow up into the Skyline…..much preferred the Ren coach she has been riding the past few years.
 #1465632  by mdvle

dowlingm wrote:My understanding is that the Rens are not ageing gracefully and that steel side stock usually reserved for Christmas demand is currently in service.

Meanwhile the Federal Transport Minister is teasing some sort of announcement tomorrow:
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... entre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No big news, just announcing what was known from the budget.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/v ... 67403.html
 #1465657  by R36 Combine Coach

NS VIA FAN wrote:The meals served on the Ocean are far from ‘Diner Lite’ They are full service, heated onboard in convection ovens (not microwaves) and very good!
That is more less the same as the diner lite on the Amfleet IIs (Cardinal and Lake Shore), full meals prepared by oven. The Amfleet IIs had new ovens installed for LD service. An Amfleet II lacks a full kitchen (no items made to order on the grill).
 #1473314  by jp1822

VIA's dining service on the Ocean - even Business class on Corridor trains with hot prepared meals - is far superior than anything Amtrak has put forward in Diner Lite or Acela Express FIrst Class. Another area where Amtrak could learn from VIA.