Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1419035  by Highball

I believe the Canadian uses the Manor Sleepers on the Canadian, during the Off Peak Season. With the Cabin for One accommodation, are the four rooms all more or less, over the wheel set ? I'm thinking specifically of Room # 3's location.
 #1419048  by Rockingham Racer

http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/manor-sleeping-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They say the most comfortable bed on the train is the lower berth, and I agree. If you can do without an electric plug and a private toilet, it's the way to go. Try for the one near the shower, farthest from the trucks.

The diagram does not show accommodation numbers, but a call to VIA will help you.
 #1419061  by Highball

Rockingham Racer wrote:http://www.viarail.ca/en/resources/manor-sleeping-car

They say the most comfortable bed on the train is the lower berth, and I agree.
Thanks Rockingham Racer. Yes, I have also heard mention upon the Canadian, of travellers stating they find the comfort of the lower berth much better, with the sleeper accommodations. I have used the Lower Berth with my recent trips also. I will call VIA to affirm the position of Cabin # 3 ..... checking for a friend who requires an electrical hook up.
 #1419106  by Highball

I just browsed my older VIA Timetables, recalling they had car diagrams. From the 1994 Timetable, the " Manor " Sleeper has the four Roomettes showing .... # 1 opposite # 2 .... 3 opposite 4, with 1 and 2 being at the car's end.
 #1419137  by marquisofmississauga

Numbers 1 & 3 are on the left, if that is of any help to you. Although all four roomettes are over the wheels try to avoid 1 & 2 which are even rougher and noisier than 3 & 4. If you are a light sleeper bring ear-plugs (no longer provided by VIA). They will come in handy for any accommodations. Much as I like the Budd equipment, they are showing their age. No matter how much refurbishment is done they are, of course, still 62-year-old cars and they shake, rattle, squeak. On one of my trips on the Canadian last year the ventilation was stuck in the off position. The valve that supposedly controls the amount of air just went round and round. I had to stuff some stiff paper into the vent in order to get some air.
 #1419227  by NS VIA FAN

marquisofmississauga wrote:....... Much as I like the Budd equipment, they are showing their age. No matter how much refurbishment is done they are, of course, still 62-year-old cars and they shake, rattle, squeak........
After riding in a REN Cabin for 2 on the Ocean....then connecting to the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver.....oh how I wished for a quiet, smooth riding REN right across the country.

Modify a REN sleeper set to operate on the Canadian!!
 #1421233  by jp1822

NS VIA FAN wrote:
marquisofmississauga wrote:....... Much as I like the Budd equipment, they are showing their age. No matter how much refurbishment is done they are, of course, still 62-year-old cars and they shake, rattle, squeak........
After riding in a REN Cabin for 2 on the Ocean....then connecting to the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver.....oh how I wished for a quiet, smooth riding REN right across the country.

Modify a REN sleeper set to operate on the Canadian!!
When the Ocean started its three times a week schedule, I am surprised VIA didn't try to test a Renaissance sleeper on the Canadian. I am not saying it should or shouldn't carry Renaissance sleepers, I am just saying I am surprised that VIA didn't try it.
 #1421253  by marquisofmississauga

For me, the attraction of roomettes (I should say cabin for 1 in current VIA terminology) has long passed. But I am too cheap to pay for a cabin for 2 on the "Canadian", so when travelling alone or with anyone other than my wife a roomette it is. I have been given upgrades from time to time, but mostly it is four nights in a tiny cabin. I also wish VIA would operate a Renaissance sleeper or two on the Canadian. I would expect the single occupancy supplement would be more than the 15% that it is on the "Ocean" and it might even be the regular 50%.

I doubt it will ever happen because of the requirement for a transition car between the two types of equipment. There would have to be two transition cars unlike the "Ocean" which can get away with just one. When I think of how upset some railfans have become because of the grey-coloured stripe over the Prestige sleepers and Park car, I can only imagine the moaning from trainspotter-type railfans if there was a Ren. car or two on the "Canadian". I admit to appreciating a fine-looking train, but I am more concerned about the actual experience of riding one.
 #1421278  by Backshophoss

Most of the Ren cars still retain their "as built" Screw link/Buffers couplers ,their original purpose was for the "NiteStar" service
thru the Chunnel From UK to Europe.
Only the "service cars" can couple Ren cars to the rest of VIA's fleet as one end has a regular coupler.
So you would need 2 service cars to run Ren equipment on the Canadian..... :( :( :(
 #1421387  by NS VIA FAN

Backshophoss wrote: Only the "service cars" can couple Ren cars to the rest of VIA's fleet as one end has a regular coupler.
So you would need 2 service cars to run Ren equipment on the Canadian.....
No...

The Ren ‘Service Cars” that operate mid-train on the Ocean on either side of the diner Do-Not have North American style couplers.

The Service cars have take-out counters and provide the ovens for heating the dining car meals. They also have lounge facilities.

A Ren Transition-Storage car with a NA style coupler at the end of the Ocean’s Ren set allows it to couple to the Park Car and a NA style coupler on the front of the Baggage Car allows it to couple to the F-40s.