Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1598355  by chriskay

I have a strong suspicion that by the time electrification actually occurs, the cost/benefit analysis won't make sense due to the age of the trainsets, plus the added costs of operating non-standard GO equipment on this line.

If Pearson's "Union Station West" concept moves forward the UP station will be relocated, and renderings I've seen show more standard GO-type units operating here.

I'm quite sure I also read that the long-term plan is to standardize the type of equipment used on this branch. The original intent was for a premium, business-class type experience (complete with premium fares) that Metrolinx had to pivot away from very quickly.
 #1598357  by scratchyX1

chriskay wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:48 am I have a strong suspicion that by the time electrification actually occurs, the cost/benefit analysis won't make sense due to the age of the trainsets, plus the added costs of operating non-standard GO equipment on this line.

If Pearson's "Union Station West" concept moves forward the UP station will be relocated, and renderings I've seen show more standard GO-type units operating here.

I'm quite sure I also read that the long-term plan is to standardize the type of equipment used on this branch. The original intent was for a premium, business-class type experience (complete with premium fares) that Metrolinx had to pivot away from very quickly.
Aren't they also Orphan equipment, as the vendor shut down north american operation?
 #1598802  by R36 Combine Coach

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:16 am Aren't they also Orphan equipment, as the vendor shut down north american operation?
Nippon Sharyo withdrew in 2018, three years after delivery. Rochelle plant was sold.
 #1616476  by dowlingm

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:26 pm Also note the UPX DMUs are designed for electric conversion if so desired.
this seems to have been given up on. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with 18 cars which is too small for the commuter service which UPX has evolved into from premium beginnings. Might be a bargain down the road for Sonoma Marin to expand their operation with, or Portland WES to switch out their motley fleet with - but I think they will be around for quite a while.