Railroad Forums 

• Radio Repair

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1058818  by Trainmann

I just got through listening to a guy on 160.485 conducting "radio repair". I heard the guy say "radio repair from north bergen to cooperstown dispatch" a couple times until north bergen dispatch answered. The "radio repair" guy asked the dispatcher if he could run a quick test and he requested that he count 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 unkeying after each number and than count 12345 at once and that was it. Does anyone know what this guy was repairing?
 #1058863  by DutchRailnut

the radio, setting or checking its settings
 #1058943  by Trainmann

Well I know the radio, but settings for what? The guy also had a very strong signal, stronger than the dispatcher.
 #1059825  by CarterB

A slow deliberate 5 or 10 count is the standard way to do a radio check to and from a radio. If you hear all 5 counts clearly, good
If you miss or there is static on 2 or more of a five count, 4 miss on a 10 count, radio may have a problem. This is a standard test used by radio technicians world wide. I am one.
 #1059880  by kingfish

NYSW is in process of converting the radio network to narrow band.