Railroad Forums 

• Bergen Record

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1010489  by brianc02

Was the Bergen Record in Hackensack a regular customer of the NYSW? Judging by the looks of the current building it is not used anymore. Just curious if the plant was used to print the newspaper or if it was an office for reporters?
 #1010556  by Steve F45

It was a regular customer up untill maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They had one of those hirail type trucks to move the boxcars around. And up untill a few months ago a box car was still on the siding. But a scrapping company was brought in and cut it all up. And yes the building is no longer used, I dont think North Jersey Media group owns it anymore.
 #1011180  by brianc02

So they did do the printing in Hackensack. I wonder if the switch is still in place? If the building is vacant, would be nice to attract a new customer that would utilize rail service. Thanks for the info, using the data for my HO layout.
 #1013631  by CarterB

Commodity was rolls of newsprint paper.
 #1013919  by brianc02

Makes sense for a newspaper. I would imagine ink was also hauled in on occasion.
 #1013929  by njmidland

At one time the track extended across River Street and ended in what is now a parking lot. I only once saw a boxcar over there (late 1960s). I don't know what was there to justify that track.
 #1019629  by NaDspr

The Bergen Record received boxcars of newsprint. They could handle 6 cars at a time. Most of the cars had BAR or CN or CP reporting marks.