Railroad Forums 

• What happened to the stack trains Susquehanna used to run?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#76738  by Redside20

When i was a teenager in Bellevue ohio, i would see these stack trains
290/291 with susquehanna power. These stack trains disappeared after the merger along with the susquehanna power. I would see SD70S B40-8S
COWLED f45s sd45s and gp38s. I know the sd70ms are with the i&0, where did the rest of the fleet go?

#76740  by scottychaos

the rest of the fleet is still around!
just doesent make it out west anymore..
Susquehanna is back to its "home rails"..
New Jersey up to Binghamton, NY..then up to Syracuse and Utica.

the cowled F45's arent running anymore, although one is still on the property..
a few of the SD45's are still running..most of the old GP's are still running..
all the B40-8's are gone ..
and the Alco C430's are gone..
but they just leased three 6-axle alco centuries!
So amazingly, Alcos still run on the susquehanna!
oh, and they recenty got some tunnel motors..SD40T-2's..
Scot

#76747  by NYSW3614

Scot- B40s 4006 and 4008 are still on the property- 4006 in regular service for the time being.
 #96312  by Matt Langworthy

Suzie-Qs last regular stack train ran in June, 1999. This was a result of the Conrail split. NS and CSX were already competing with each other for the stack traffic originating in northern NJ so I don't think they wanted a third competitor. NS and CSX bought up shares of NYS&W, with Walter Rich holding the rest. That effectively ended NYS&W's stack business, although it seems to do quite well with local and regional traffic.

#96353  by ANDY117

More than 3 C630's They got like, 5. 4006 is here in Bingo. They have 3 GP20s, 2 GP18s, 2 E8,s, like, 3 SD45's (im not sure of how many) SD40's from NS. A bunch of 40T's from UP. And a few cute little RDC's up in the 'Cuse.

#96355  by ANDY117

Also, I give a power update every thursday over on the NYS railfan forum. :wink:

#96453  by NYSW3614

5 MLWs.
1 B40 is left (4008 to P&W last week)
3 GP20s
3 GP18s
1 NW2
2 Budds in Service (1 OOS)
2 E9s (OOS)
1 GP38
1 GP40
2 SD45s (another on property but being stripped for parts)
1 F45 (hasn't run since mid-late 90s)
4 Espees (2 painted)
1 SW9 (Utica area switcher)
2 hi-hood SD40s (one in service, one possibly retired)
And numerous lease units (including ex P&W GEs and ex NS GPs and SDs)

Did I miss anything?

#96897  by AmtrakFan

I know some of their old B40-8 made it to the BN Racetrack a couple of times.
 #98529  by washingtonsecondary

Matt Langworthy wrote:Suzie-Qs last regular stack train ran in June, 1999. This was a result of the Conrail split. NS and CSX were already competing with each other for the stack traffic originating in northern NJ so I don't think they wanted a third competitor. NS and CSX bought up shares of NYS&W, with Walter Rich holding the rest. That effectively ended NYS&W's stack business, although it seems to do quite well with local and regional traffic.
Thats the main reason they lost the stack business, but even if CSX and NS didn't take it away, they may have eventually lost it. Stack (IE intermodal) business has exploded in popularity in the last 5 years. With all the import/exports being loaded into containers and shipped, the NYS&W may not have been equipped to handle the levels of business shippers (like my company) and steam ship companies (like Hamburg Sud, NYK, Maersk-Sealand) demand. With no place to let trains pass each other except Sparta Junction or the southern tier, the traffic levels can never reach what is needed in today's stack business.

#98567  by Lackawanna484

AmtrakFan wrote:I know some of their old B40-8 made it to the BN Racetrack a couple of times.

When the NYSW received temporary authority to operate the D&H after its bankrupty and split with Guilford, CSX financed a slew of additional B40-8 locomotives for the operation. Perhaps 20 more diesels, and I believe the numbers were 4010-4042, evens only.

When the authority ended, CSX took back the units and put them into general service. I saw them in Houston on UP, in New Orleans several times, in LA once (although B40-8 units didn't usually go there). they stayed in NYSW colors and numbers for several months while roaming anywhere CSX power travels

I believe the units are still on CSX, maybe in the 56xx series, with CSX colors now.

#98610  by washingtonsecondary

There were 20 units with CSX backing. 4010 to 4048, evens only of course.

Editted: My math was wrong.

#98680  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:There were 20 units with CSX backing. 4010 to 4048, evens only of course.

Editted: My math was wrong.
Damn, your math is worse then mine!! Come on man learn how to count!!! :-D :wink:

#99023  by nysw3636

Actually, the last NYS&W stack train was Hanjin train #252 on February 5, 2000. And the 20 former NYS&W B40-8's that went back to CSX are numbered 5930 to 5949.

ASD
 #102084  by mikedc3

washingtonsecondary wrote: With no place to let trains pass each other except Sparta Junction or the southern tier, the traffic levels can never reach what is needed in today's stack business.
There were plans for at least two passing sidings in NJ. I think they put them on hold to see if the NJT service would happen and maybe NJT would pay for them. Then the CR split and the lost stack trains scrapped the idea. There were track panels at Green Pond RD. stacked up for use in one of the sidings. If I recall correctly, They used rail from the old branch to the Zink mine to make these track panels. They sat there for a few years before they were removed. I think the second siding was to be along the LnHR section.

#102507  by washingtonsecondary

Yes I remember the passing siding planned for Newfoundland. But if I remember correctly, some of our enviromentalist wacko friends also had a helping hand in stoping the project as well.