Railroad Forums 

• Edgewater

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#905605  by RichM

Quick questions. Where did NYS&W ownership end and NYC ownership begin on the right of way? And was this a recognized interchange point? I can't ever recall seeing a locomotive along River Road south of the Edgewater yard but I assume that Ford, Lever Brothers, etc. were customers of one railroad or the other. I do recall tank cars positioned at one or two of the businesses on the west side of River Road, but never saw them picked up or dropped.

Last question. When the post office facility was constructed at what I believe was the north end of the NYSW tracks, were those sidings built there ever utilized? Again, I remember the place being built with the two bumping posts in the middle of the loading dock lot but don't ever recall seeing a railcar there.

Thanks!
 #907387  by dano23

I do believe that the physical end of ownership was the North Bergen/Edgewater town line. The NYC end was built as the New Jersey Shore Line, and the NYSW (Erie) end built as the Edgewater and Fort Lee and in descriptions I've seen they both point to the end of ownership on the Hudson/Bergen county border.
 #907664  by RichM

OK, thank you.

That would mean that NYS&W would switch the old Ford complex, which makes sense because (I think) Maidman was managing that property after Ford's departure.

Now, was there an interchange point in the tariffs, or was the connection simply an escape / detour arrangement from the coal loading days?

Rich
 #907730  by njmidland

Yes, Ford was serviced by the NYS&W. When they left for Mahwah that led to some of the stockholders and bondholders to push for Henry Norton to retire as they "blamed" him for the loss of this traffic.
 #1024740  by Earle Baldwin

Does trackage remain anywhere in Edgewater? I haven't visited there since the 90's. We would to go to dinner on the Binghamton and then take in a movie at the Loew's Showboat Quad across the parking lot before they both shut down. At that time, there was a grade crossing at the entrance to the parking lot.

Thanks in advance for any information.
 #1024762  by Steve F45

Earle Baldwin wrote:Does trackage remain anywhere in Edgewater? I haven't visited there since the 90's. We would to go to dinner on the Binghamton and then take in a movie at the Loew's Showboat Quad across the parking lot before they both shut down. At that time, there was a grade crossing at the entrance to the parking lot.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Where was the grade crossing? I used to go down there all the time to that arcade and pool hall in the late 90's when in H.S. But as of now there is one shuttered building that still has some rail in the lot. I had photographed it about 6 years ago. Other then that, not a trace remains that this used to be a huge railyard with industries.
 #1024784  by Earle Baldwin

Thanks for the update.

With reference to the crossing, heading south along the river, you'd cross the railroad as soon as you made the left turn into the parking lot for the Binghamton and the theatre.
 #1024798  by cjvrr

Almost all traces along River Road were removed when Bergen County widened / improved the roadway from the County line north to Route 5. I worked on the design on that project for the County at the time. I left Bergen in 1996 before all work was completed but by that time most of the demolition and rough grading had been completed on the entire length.

I have a survey for the section north of the tunnel up to the Mail Bag facility (the Postal facility literally was the mail bag repair facility).
 #1024802  by pumpers

I couldn't open the map link (it says my institution is not allowed), but I did find a good one on wikipedia. From 1909 , it shows the planned NJ SHore line from Weehawken going north to the Hudson/Bergen county border, connecting with the Edgewater and Ft Lee RR (NYSW). Not sure of the date.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... d_1909.jpg
JS
 #1043180  by Penn Central

pumpers wrote:I couldn't open the map link (it says my institution is not allowed), but I did find a good one on wikipedia. From 1909 , it shows the planned NJ SHore line from Weehawken going north to the Hudson/Bergen county border, connecting with the Edgewater and Ft Lee RR (NYSW). Not sure of the date.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... d_1909.jpg
JS
In 1971, when Penn Central still operated yard jobs in Weehawken around the clock, we would take the engines north of the yard to the Riverview Diner in North Bergen. At that time, the tracks went all the way to the Susquehanna Yard in Edgewater. Unfortunately, the tracks were removed and the right of way was lost. It would have made a good extension for light rail.