Railroad Forums 

• Hawthorne Station move is underway

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#841626  by ErieRailroadFan

I searched but didn't find a thread on this. If this is a repost, I'd ask a mod to close the thread for me.

That said, the long sought move of the NYS&W station in Hawthorne, NJ is underway. The new foundation has been excavated, walls erected and concrete floor poured. We are now waiting for the concrete to fully cure. While that takes place, some necessary repairs are being made to the station so that it can make the move safely. The project is being funded entirely by the Volunteer Railroaders Association with money raised from running passenger excursions. You can see the VRA online at http://www.vratrips.org. I hope some of you can visit the station when she's safely in her new home - 75 feet north (railroad west) of where she resides today.
 #843748  by cjvrr

The move is tentatively scheduled to occur on Saturday, September 4th.

Chris, a VRA member
 #845509  by blocksignal

Hi All - regarding the Hawthorne Station move is it still a go for this Saturday (9/4/2010) and if so anyone know what time they will be doing the actual move? I would like to get some before and after photos - thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #845531  by cjvrr

Block,

Word came down yesterday or the day before that the move has to be postponed from Saturday due to unexpected rot which is preventing the installation of steel beams under the building. The move may happen during a weekday next week, Labor Day week. However a final date will not be available until later this week.

I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Chris
 #846781  by blocksignal

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up the other day. Yes please let me know as soon as you find out something - much appreciated. I had also emailed VRA and got a message from the president that the move was to be postponed. If it is a weekday next week I may still be able to go up there to Hawthorne before I head on off to work.

By the way on a somewhat unrelated topic would you know what the general schedule for NYS&W freights along the mainline are? I have not been able to catch a freight rolling along the line in quite a number of years - thanks again.

Blocksignal.
 #851051  by cjvrr

Sorry to post this so late, but have not had access for a few days.

Over the last two days the station has been moved about 50' and is now partially on the new foundation. Because of the holiday tomorrow, the Borough asked us to try and complete the move today, September 17th. I believe all work is to be done by late this afternoon and the station will be fully on the new foundation.
 #872312  by MTASUPT

Was this station built in 1950?
 #872396  by FullScale4Me

MTASUPT wrote:Was this station built in 1950?
From http://www.hawthornestation.info/
"The station is a two-room, one-story, street-level wooden structure with brown and cream paint. Formerly the station served as the ticket office for the commuter train stop (offered until 1966) and freight depot building. The structure has been located on this corner since 1894."

More info http://vratrips.org/blog/category/station/

The station ticket office (mid building) had been where the front coupler of 3634 is now. The south wall of the station was alignined with the edge of the cross-walk nearest the stop line.
 #875044  by Roadgeek Adam

This is pre-move for comparison. They did a hell of a job moving the 1894 structure.