Railroad Forums 

• SU99/SU100 Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1224308  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Sounds like I'll have to wait until next summer. Days are shorter and time change is next weekend so it gets dark around 5 then. Oh well. It will give me something to look forward to next year.
 #1236640  by CentralValleyRail

Can anyone update me on what days SU 99-100 run and around what time I could catch them at Campbell Hall, Oakland and Hawthorne?

Are there any other trains that run between Hawthorne and Oakland other than SU99-100?

Thanks
 #1236771  by Steve F45

SU100'S run sunday, tuesday and thursday evenings from Binghamton around 5pm i think. Figure they probably get to Camball Hall around midnight maybe? Oakland would probably be about 2 or 3 hours later and Hawthorn would be 15 minutes after that if they are making good time. The SU99 runs Monday, wednesday and friday evenings leaving anywhere between 4 and 6pm. If it leaves at 4ish, figure about 830 or 9pm for Camball Hall. Oakland and Hawthorn are probably 30 minutes from the time they leave Ridgefield Park.

Other trains in NJ would be the WS locals that would service the industries along the line and possibly interchange with MNJ at Warwick.
 #1238776  by Snowmojoe

The 99 seems to have been leaving Ridgefield Park fairly late for the last couple weeks. It passed my house (Wyckoff) at 8:15 tonight and I can think of 3 or 4 other times it's gone by that late recently.
 #1243580  by Andyt293

Had to go to Deposit and Hancock today for business and drove the back way home to Pennsylvania ending up taking Rt 171 from Oakland to Hallstead. As I passed SR Tower I noticed that signals were red over red in both directions which I found kind of confusing. The one track was filled with stored NS cars which would account for a red signal heading east/south, but what up with every track and direction burning red?
 #1243681  by nysw136

Probably what you saw were the control point, CP, signals which by default are red in all directions unless a route and signal are cleared by the dispatcher.

Kevin M.
 #1268849  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Just checking to see what is the closest schedule for SU99. I am itching to catch this train on old L&HR trackage. Mondays and Wednesdays are best for me until Labor Day. Catching this train at several locations(on different trips most likely) is my biggest "to do" in 2014.Wish me luck.
Are they still running solid sets of yellow jackets?
 #1268909  by Snowmojoe

The Yellowjacket SD60s are pretty much exclusively what I've seen go by my house.
 #1272042  by Snowmojoe

Can anyone tell me whether or not the SU-100 will leave Binghamton on a normal schedule this weekend, or is it being changed b/c of the holiday?
 #1276493  by CNJ Fan 4evr

How long would you say it takes SU99 to get from Ridgefiled Park to Sparta Junction? Which is fastest way to get from Ridgefield Park/Bogota to the Rte 23 corridor? I drove for 14 years and what I remember is there really is no easy way.Friday afternoon/evenings have to be a real SOB no matter which way you go.
 #1276655  by Steve F45

I'de say probably 2 or 3 hours. Rail and roadbed are in pretty good condition now. From bogota i used to hop on rt 80w/b, to 17n/b to 4w/b then 208n/b if i were chasing the 99 west. From 208 i'de merge onto 287 s/b and get off for i think its pompton lakes and take whatever road it is towards butler and follow the tracks till you need to get onto rt 23n/b and then well take it from there.

If your just planning ongoing from bogota to sparta junction without any chasing in between then hop on 80w/b to 23n/b.
 #1277888  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I was hoping to have my scanner by now but my Jeep had other ideas. Without a scanner I'd have to wait at RP and see it leave and then chase it. I'm hoping for the Weds. before July 4th and later on in the month. I have seen videos on You Tube and it looks like you can catch it numerous times. I just want footage of the old L&HR trackage more than anything.
 #1310394  by Port Jervis

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:Just checking to see what is the closest schedule for SU99. I am itching to catch this train on old L&HR trackage. Mondays and Wednesdays are best for me until Labor Day. Catching this train at several locations(on different trips most likely) is my biggest "to do" in 2014.Wish me luck.
Are they still running solid sets of yellow jackets?
SU99's schedule fluctuates dramatically, for whatever reason. If you want to catch it in Warwick/Sugar Loaf/Chester area, anytime between 7 and 9 PM.
 #1335200  by ebtmikado

It's now June, 2015, with the long days.
I have never chased Su-99. Is there an approximate time it might depart, and perhaps a few points on the line?
Thanks,
Lee
 #1335290  by waldwickrailfan

ebtmikado wrote:It's now June, 2015, with the long days.
I have never chased Su-99. Is there an approximate time it might depart, and perhaps a few points on the line?
Thanks,
Lee
It usually leaves Bogota,NJ around 4:45pm
Wyckoff: 5:30pm
Butler: 6pm
Sparta: 7pm
Warwick: 8pm
Campbell Hall: 930pm
Port Jervis: 11pm
Binghamton: 2:30am

Note: These are average times, train may be at these locations at different times