Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Commuter Timetable - 1964

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#782108  by Otto Vondrak

Nice find! I just added a '63 to my collection. I know there were some "unauthorized" issues created by some locals who distributed them in the waning days of '66... I think they have been mentioned before here?

-otto-
 #782163  by Noel Weaver

I think that particular timetable was not done by the railroad but by a group of railfans. The railroad distributed it though
because I got a couple of them at the P A Bus Terminal in New York before riding the train to Butler.
The railroad issued timetable was done on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of white paper with print on both sides. Westbound on
one side and eastbound on the other. I have a couple of them too. Same dates on both I think.
Noel Weaver
 #782274  by Otto Vondrak

I see in this '64 edition that trains do not operate directly into the old Erie Jersey City terminal, but only as far as Susquehanna Transfer. When did they vacate Jersey City (and it was after the Erie left, right?)?

-otto-
 #782288  by trainwayne1

One of the main selling points of the merger between the Erie, and the Lackawanna was the consolidation of commuter passenger trains to Hoboken. That was accomplished within a year of the merger with 2 exceptions, the NYS&W and the EL's trains on the Northern branch. East of Granton Jct. , the Erie and NYS&W ran along side each other, and for years the tracks had been treated as a double track main, the Erie being the westbound, and the NYS&W the eastbound track to Jersey City. There was no way to make a direct connection to the ex-Lackawanna line(s) without having to make a back-up move, so the trains continued to use the Erie terminal for some time......I'll have to dig the books out for exact dates. If I remember correctly, when the EL totally pulled the plug on commuter service on the Northern branch, the NYS&W cut back to the Transfer to avoid paying all the charges to maintain both the extra tracks and the JC terminal.
 #782422  by Noel Weaver

Most Erie trains left the Erie Jersey City Terminal before the merger with the Lackawanna except as mentioned in the last
post. The Susquehanna made wholesale cuts in their service around that period and sold off their LW coaches and Budd Cars
too.
I might be able to dig here too but not right now.
Noel Weaver
 #783367  by ExCon90

I'm going strictly on memory here, but I believe the Northern Branch trains were diverted to Hoboken before service was discontinued, requiring a switchback move out in the meadows until the service ended.
 #786983  by trainwayne1

I found the book I was looking for....Northern Branch trains switched to Hoboken in 1958, but the NYS&W didn't move out of Jersey City until sometime the next year, 1959