Railroad Forums 

• Susie-Q boxcar in Paterson

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#706549  by German

I was exploring the railroad in Paterson today and came across a boxcar in Susie-Q paint in an industrial yard located on 27th street between 18th and 19th avenues. Anyone have any info on this car? Sorry, my outing was not planned and I didn't have a camera (you would think after a few dozen similar "finds" I would know better)
 #706763  by mackdave

Yes, it is one of the ex-Lehigh Valley 40' boxcars bought in the early 60's. It is (was?) owned by Fairclough Fuel, who offered it for sale to me about 6 years ago for several thousand dollars (not very realistic!). The draft gear has been pulled out of one end from some very rough switching.
 #706857  by lvrr325

What's an empty 40' box car weigh on the average? Some good steel in them. Last summer it was worth $200 or better a ton easily, that was what we were getting for cars that are mostly lighter, lower quality steel. Even now it's floating around $100 a ton, give or take. Their "several thousand" price may have been perfectly reasonable.

"LT WT" on several model 40' boxcars is between 45,000 and 48,000 lbs - 24 tons at $100 a ton is easy math. And again you're liable to get a higher per ton price for the steel in a boxcar than for an automobile.
 #706887  by airman00

Seems to me that boxcar should either be restored to working condition or be preserved at a railmuseum. Why would you wish to scrap a boxcar that appears to have a rich history?
 #706897  by lvrr325

I think you completely missed my point, which is that the price the guy above was quoted may be entirely reasonable based on the value of the steel as scrap metal. It all depends on just how many thousands he means by "several" ...

A lot of people don't even think of that when they want to save some old piece of rail equipment. Even old and no longer able to be interchanged, the steel has a value to it.
 #707096  by German

mackdave wrote:Yes, it is one of the ex-Lehigh Valley 40' boxcars bought in the early 60's. It is (was?) owned by Fairclough Fuel, who offered it for sale to me about 6 years ago for several thousand dollars (not very realistic!). The draft gear has been pulled out of one end from some very rough switching.

Thank you for the information. As far as restoring this car, it looked to me to be in pretty bad shape and perhaps not a candidate for restoration. I guess you can restore virtually anything with enough time and money but sometimes your efforts are best spent elsewhere.
 #708131  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:Seems to me that boxcar should either be restored to working condition or be preserved at a railmuseum. Why would you wish to scrap a boxcar that appears to have a rich history?
How much money do you have? Which museum do you want to drop it off at? :-)