Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W SD-70's

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#51129  by Legio X

Why would NYS&W purchase SD-70's, and then lease them out? Don't they have a power shortage?

#51192  by metman499

It was probably a business choice, where the lease payments for that amount of horsepower exceeds the payments for the purchase of older power that they currently employ.

#51263  by Lackawanna484

When the NYSW first took possession (by lease, I believe) of the SD70s, they received excellent terms. They had enough business hauling cargo across NY and NJ to need them. With the break-up of CR, they expected to get a lot more traffic, I understand.

That didn't happen.

I&O made a good offer for expensive equipment the NYSW wasn't using, so off they went.