Railroad Forums 

• Cincinnatus Branch?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#661822  by TB Diamond

On another site, note was made of some NYS&W photos, the location of which was given as the Cincinnatus Branch in New York State. Appeared that these may have been taken on the former Lehigh Valley Railroad E&C Branch in the South Cortland area. Is this what the NYS&W calls the Cincinnatus branch, or were the photos mis-captioned?

The only Cincinnatus branch that I know of was on the old DL&W, Cortland Jct.-Cincinnatus, NY, 18 miles, abandoned in 1961.
 #661881  by RSD15

still a small part of the cincinnatus branch left.the bridge acsoss the tioughnioga river and some track serving the asphalt plant to the south of the bridge.

can`t remember but i think the track was reinstalled by NYSW.
 #662168  by lvrr325

Yeah, you can follow the branch on Google sattelite view - they relaid a bit of it for an ashpalt plant that seems to be fairly busy given all the tank cars I see waiting to go to it, a lot of them get stored by the mall in Syracuse. It splits off near the old crossing for the LV. It only crosses one road, if I remember right.
 #662241  by TB Diamond

RSD15 & lvrr325:

Thank you for the information. Did Googlemap it and found exactly what you described. The branch is on the alignment of the old DL&W Cincinnatus Branch, for sure.

Now to find out when it was relaid.
 #663508  by TB Diamond

Dan:

Thank you for the link. Mr. Blay certainly has it well covered.