Railroad Forums 

• The "last" Susquehanna commuter timetables

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#660189  by Otto Vondrak

I'm looking for examples of NYSW commuter timetables from the very end... I know there was some talk that the last timetable was actually produced by the commuters since the railroad didn't issue enough forms because they were trying to discourage riders. Do I have my stories crossed? Can someone point me in the right direction?

-otto-
 #663511  by TB Diamond

Otto:

Your information about the final NYS&W passenger time table being privately published is correct. Owned an example of that final PTT, but sold it several years ago. If memory serves, I believe that the year of publication was 1966.
 #663912  by trainwayne1

I was in the Butler Station several nights a week with my Dad in 1966 right before the passenger trains were discontinued...somewhere in a pile of papers I have a copy of the last timetable, and I will scan it and post it when I find it. There were timetables but they were issued when the time changed in March or April, so that would be the last time they were published, but they were available to the public.
 #664461  by Noel Weaver

I have some NYS&W passenger timetables. The last one that I have that was published by the railroad was dated
October 26, 1964. There were two after that time that were published by the railfans, one dated November 1, 1965 and one
dated April 8, 1966. I believe the railroad just distributed the railfan printed timetables at the end.
The October 26, 1964 timetable is on a single sheet of 8 and 1/2 by 11 paper with one direction on each side.
There wasn't much left at the end. How many on here remember the "Butler Day Express" which ran only around four times a
year at the end? You had to take a bus back to New York.
Noel Weaver
 #672583  by Otto Vondrak

trainwayne1 wrote:I was in the Butler Station several nights a week with my Dad in 1966 right before the passenger trains were discontinued...somewhere in a pile of papers I have a copy of the last timetable, and I will scan it and post it when I find it. There were timetables but they were issued when the time changed in March or April, so that would be the last time they were published, but they were available to the public.
I would be interested in seeing a copy, when you come across it.

-otto-
 #672612  by trainwayne1

Reading Noel's line about the Butler Day Express jogged a few things in my memory....and also a few questions. I know that the BDE ran on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eves....anyone remember what the fourth holiday was? I'm thinking it may have been Good Friday but I'm not sure.
I rode the last Christmas Eve BDE in 1965. My grandfather and father had both worked for the Susquehanna and my Dad was able to arrange a ride with one of the passenger conductors, Frank (Ponzee) Ponzerella. His assigned train was the second one to leave Butler in the morning (the "big" train, with two coaches instead of one) . I was put up in the RS-1 with engineer Dave Harvey for the trip to the Susquehanna Transfer. After discharging the passengers we did a back up deadhead move back to the yard in Little Ferry. Several of the crew members in passenger service kept old clunker cars in Little Ferry so they would have a way to get around during the all-day layover, so "Ponzee" his brakeman (Donald "Duck" Vleit) and I rode to a local restaurant for a good breakfast. After breakfast we returned to the Little Ferry yard where there was an unused coach that the crews used to sit around in during the day, playing cards (knock rummy) and passing time. About noon, we went back to the train for the back up move to return to the Transfer. The BDE left around 1PM and was back in Butler shortly after 2PM . The best part of the whole day was the time spent in the old coach in Little Ferry, just listening to the crews swap stories.....All three of the conductors (Ray Sampson, Ponzee, and Karl Vleit) were old employees of the WB&E who had come east to work after the WB&E was abandoned, and they had house trailers in a small trailer park in Butler, just west of the Excelsior Mills crossing where they stayed during the week, and the went home to Pa. for the weekends.
For those of you who have a copy of Paul Turpaczewski's NYS&W in Color, There is a picture on the bottom of page 64 taken ( by George Berriso, who I met and railfanned with several years later) the same day I rode the BDE. It's special for two reasons....it shows all 3 of the GP-18's on the Sparta Turn (a rare happening.....most trains had only 2 locos), and, the cars and engine from the BDE parked for the holiday, one of the rare times the passenger equipment could be seen during daylight on a weekday in Butler over the winter.
Another unique thing about that day was that it was a Friday, and every Friday night during the winter a crew would deadhead west to Butler on the last passenger train to MU the 3 RS-1's together and take them to Little Ferry to eliminate having a hostler on duty in Butler for the weekend.
43 years later, I can still remember that day like it was yesterday.
 #672790  by njmidland

trainwayne1 wrote:Reading Noel's line about the Butler Day Express jogged a few things in my memory....and also a few questions. I know that the BDE ran on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eves....anyone remember what the fourth holiday was? I'm thinking it may have been Good Friday but I'm not sure.
The fourth day was Election Day.