Railroad Forums 

• SD45 returns from the dead!

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#46032  by rcbsd45

NYS&W has reactivated SD45 # 3618, and was in the SU-100 arriving in Little Ferry, NJ on Monday August 23rd. look for this to return west on SU-99 departing the evening of the 23rd. SUPPOSEDLY, another 45 will be reactivated, as the railroad is in a power crunch these days. Stay Tuned, and keep your eyes open!

#46167  by trainfreak

Its nice to see the old girl back in service. I remember the last time i saw a SD45 in service was a while ago. It was in winter and a daylight SU99 had the 3634 leading infront of 2 SD40-2T's and one B40-8. Its funny how back then i actually got excited over seeing those SD40-2T's even the ones not in the yellow jacket scheme.

#47651  by charlie6017

I was in Utica on Tuesday(8-24) and I saw another SD45, the 3634 and also a F45, the 3636 (I think). They were parked next to the shops, is that their "deadline" or does anyone know if these will be reactivated?

#47878  by rcbsd45

When I was there last(it it was within the past four weeks), the 3612 was outside, nose donated to a BDLX GP40 which is no longer a high hood unit, and this unit(3612) looked pretty far gone. The 3636 was along side the building, still outside, and while I can confirm some parts have been removed for other units, the carbody is still intact and in one piece. the 3614 and 3618 were outside the building, but in differing areas of the compound. There also were a bunch of ex BN Cabless B30-7A's(owned by RMDI), a bunch of BAR GP38-3's( being held out of service by the bank that owns them, I believe), as well as a D&H blue and grey Jordan Spreader and other assorted pieces of equipment in various states of disassembly. Inside was the 120, the 1804(getting its new block) and a Housitanic GP35, # 3603, I believe, in for some work by RMDI. Also, the NYSW is taking the ex BAR woodchip cars and placing heavier trucks on them and upping the allowable tonnage they can hold, so as to maximixe their potential.

#68885  by Angus202

I'm told by a buddy on the NYS&W the 3636 has just gotten the crankshaft and other misc parts from the 3612 and is slated for service soon if all works out. Also I heard the nose to the 3636 went on one of the ex high hood NS SD40-2s and not the Geep... did I hear wrong or did you just mean to type SD instead of GP? Very curious now!

-Ryan

#68929  by cjvrr

Angus,

RCB's info is correct the 3612's nose went to the BDLX 1355, an ex NS GP-40.

NYS&W SD-45 3634 has also been returned to service. It just "appeared" one day on a road train along with the BDLX 1355.

The 3636 is the F45. It would be awsome if they reactivated that one too. Hope it could lead if it is reactivated.

#69033  by rcbsd45

I have to admit that the amount of speculation re: the "fleet" of NYSW power is interesting to hear and read.... But the only other stories I have heard, and I must stress that it is unverifiable, but seems plausible, at least according to my sources(both on and off the NYS&W) is that the 3614 will soon be returning to service, and while the 3612 is scrap at this point, the continuing story has it that it will be the organ donor for the 3636. Keep in mind that the 3636(F45) has not run in five years(or thereabouts), and some of its parts have been stripped for other units. But like anything else, stay tuned......

#69100  by O-6-O

Angus202 wrote:I'm told by a buddy on the NYS&W the 3636 has just gotten the crankshaft and other misc parts from the 3612 and is slated for service soon if all works out. Also I heard the nose to the 3636 went on one of the ex high hood NS SD40-2s and not the Geep... did I hear wrong or did you just mean to type SD instead of GP? Very curious now!

-Ryan
The nose on 3636 is definately still intact. I saw it this past weekend
behind the fence at the compound next to the old part of the shop. The
paint on the old girl still looks good for a unit thats been OOS for so long.
The old green paint under the windshield is showing thru
the newer black that
was applied. I,m not much of a EMD fan but I do like these f-45s. It would be great to see her back in service.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#69617  by rocketman

the 3636 is one of Walters "personal" engines

#69628  by Idiot Railfan

Walter's "personal"? Does that mean he actually owns it himself or that it is simply near and dear to his railroad heart?

#71552  by rocketman

right

#74838  by emd_SD_60

Although not possible, maybe they will also get their B40's back too. :wink:

#74843  by trainfreak

Well one of the B40-8's was back around the system. Im not sure where it is now though. Anyone got a status report on it?

#75040  by charlie6017

I thought the remaining B40-8s were going to the Providence and Worcester?

#75145  by emd_SD_60

I thought most of them also went to CSX...