Railroad Forums 

• E9s For Sale

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#2652  by Jason W

With that 12.5% buyers premium that means they are a measely $84,375 each. That means only $168,750 for the pair. I've got $20, who else will pony up?

#2677  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I'll toss in $20.

Same with 614 :wink:

#2773  by rcbsd45

Anyone wanna bet on who would seriously consider these units? They never got the full rebuilding they should have when they were purchased. I have run them several times, and it makes you appreciate the modern stuff that's out there these days. That being said, I for one, actually liked the PS-68 braking system in them, but I can also understand why some NYSW employees will be happy to see them go. If they had been cared for like the CR units or the IC units(to cite two examples) then they could have been a pair of really classy units, much moreso than they are, at least to the trackside railfan. To the mechanics that have to service them, i would imagine there will be no love lost here either when they go. Stay tuned.....

#3327  by rocketman

Those E9's should have 645 D2 power assemblies in them they were overhauled in early 98.

#4806  by BlockLine_4111

Scrap 'em, i never liked them.

#30204  by bystander

Do these engines have cab signal and 26c passenger breaks? Would they be ok to use on a diner train? they look nice.

#30301  by rcbsd45

Engines have a PS-68 braking system. It is similar to 24-RL, but unlike 26 systems it is not self lapping. that is, when a brake pipe reduction(application) is made, the engineer must monitor the guages and move the handle to "LAP" to stop the reduction, where as with more modern systems, when the automatic brake handle is moved to a point within the "Service" area of the handle, the application will stop and remain at a set level until released.
Mechanically, they are tired, and while they do have all the classic lines, appearances can be decieveing. at least when you compare the outside to the enginerooms. I would hate to see them go, but as long as they aren't getting scrapped and eventually find a new home, there's hope for them yet. It just may not involve the NYS&W....