Railroad Forums 

• NYSW SD70M Official Thread (Please Read)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#887415  by Sid Farkus

4052 looks really worn out, I wonder what their cab and engine conditions were like when they finally received them back after almost a decade on lease?
 #891333  by Angus202

4054 was on the SU-99 / 100 again 1/17, sandwiched between the rebuilds 3018 and 3022. Sadly, the 1st and 2nd generation rebuilds sounded and looked worlds healthier than the 70M, which looked more like an Alco with how it's stack was breathing. Any status update on the sister units?
 #892227  by GOLDEN-ARM

when i was running these locos on the I&O, i reported the sad condition they were in. one was shopped for blown power assemblies, the other two were just rolling junkers. you didnt expect them to be any better 5 years later, did ya? they havent had anything done to them, except for running them into the ground. :P
 #892342  by ErieLimited2914

Steve F45 wrote:I believe all 3 are up and running at this time.
4052 is the only one not in service due to it missing its computer (don't quote me on it, just what I've been told from a reliable source).

The units are in pretty good shape from what some mechanical guys have said. They're performing higher than anyone expected them too.
 #909740  by nismofly

One of them was in the consist northbound into Syracuse Thursday afternoon. Did not get a unit number because I was driving alongside on 81 at the time and they weren't moving too fast.
 #911769  by kingfish

4052 missing its computer? when did it disappear? That was the first engine to run i believe.

INCORRECT. No such issue.

4050 still has't come out on the rails...came back from NECR with a blown generator, won't be seen for awhile.

INCORRECT. More railfan BS.

4052 in service
4054 in service
4050 in service

Yes they are tired. All three have used up their power plant life cycle and are past due for midlife work.

Kingfish
 #913786  by Angus202

It is quite confusing how they let just about their only new power in the DO era, be run into the ground while rebuilding so many of the 2nd gen, 2nd hand units. I'm betting the NS & CSX folks on their board are more than happy to lease or lend them units than allow big bucks be spent rebuilding the 70's. Hope I'm wrong.