Railroad Forums 

• F45 3636 Out of Service

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#599030  by lvrr325

Considering he also worked for the same railroad and stil does independent contracting, I tend not to question what he has to say.

Functionally there's not a lot of difference in changing out individual wheel/axle/traction motor assemblies and changing out an entire truck assembly, the only reason we discussed it on that basis is I suggested that might be less labor. However if the brakes on the 3618 are in better shape, then it would make more sense to retain them. Regardless of the actual reason, I was mistaken per Kingfish - I stand corrected.
 #608171  by roadster

well, I count myself fortunate to have had the 3636 as a leader 2 years ago on the Q404 from Syracuse to Buffalo. Would be nice to see the remains donated to the CNY Chapter RHS, but I'm sure that's a pipe dream.
 #652917  by cjvrr

Looks like the front handrails are damaged in that photo....
 #652962  by hrfcarl

Going a bit off topic and picking up from the Maple Festive shuttle thread, if the prime mover of this locomotive has to be replaced, could a mover with HEP be installed? Not say this needs to be done, just if tech possible? Enough room for prime mover & seperate HEP or prime mover with HEP? If I read correctly, the suttle is paid with a grant, maybe another grant could cover this conversion and this locomotive would be available for other events?

Thanks.
 #654313  by lvrr325

Head End Power requires a seperate generator unit to be installed independent of the prime mover. The only units that I recall that used the prime mover to operate HEP were the GE U34CH's which always ran in notch-8 to have the RPMs up to run it - not exactly the most fuel efficient operations.

Is there room inside an F45 for HEP? Possibly, but it would likely require re-arranging some of the radiators and fans at the rear of the unit, or a complete rebuild with a 16 cylinder (3000 HP) 645 instead of the 20 that is in it now, to create more space for a genset.
 #654339  by mtuandrew

lvrr325 wrote:Head End Power requires a seperate generator unit to be installed independent of the prime mover. The only units that I recall that used the prime mover to operate HEP were the GE U34CH's which always ran in notch-8 to have the RPMs up to run it - not exactly the most fuel efficient operations.

Is there room inside an F45 for HEP? Possibly, but it would likely require re-arranging some of the radiators and fans at the rear of the unit, or a complete rebuild with a 16 cylinder (3000 HP) 645 instead of the 20 that is in it now, to create more space for a genset.
Most F40PHs (and all the ones used by Amtrak) had HEP taken directly from the prime mover as well. Not sure about the P32BWH or the Genesis series.
 #655851  by lvrr325

FP45s had a steam generator and needed space for the water tank and boiler. HEP becoming more or less universal on Amtrak didn't come about until the late '70s with the delivery of the Budd coaches and F40PH's.
 #759451  by roadster

Just wondering if there's been any further updates on the 3636's future. Still parked at the Utica shop.