Railroad Forums 

• F45 3636 Out of Service

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#535288  by rcbsd45

F45 3636 suffered a significant mechanical failure recently and is currently out of service. This had been the only F45 east of the Mississippi in regular revenue service. Apparnetly, the turbo went, and in a chain of events, the prime mover seized and the engine is no longer running. As far as i know, no determionation has been made as to the future(if any) for this locomotive. on another note, the high hooded SD40, # 3020 should see a return to service in the future. Apparently the repairs it needs are significantly less than the 3636. as usual... stay tuned....

#535564  by Angus202

Wasn't aware a failed turbo could cause the PM to lockup, what fate... Didn't this loco receive a newer 645 from another OOS SD45 in order to return to service just a few years back?

#536370  by rocketman

sounds like it ran out of oil

#536607  by uhaul

That is quite the bummer! Since I am pretty sure that. NYSW 3636 was the last F45 in active service. Haven’t MRL 390 and 392 have been have retired by now? Too bad it went the way I did.

#537201  by Sid Farkus

You know if Mr. Rich was still with out this engine would be back. He did everything to keep that locomotive running. I guess now it will only run on model railroads :wink: .

#537389  by nysw3636

First of all, NYSW 3636 was OOS for SEVERAL years before her comeback in 2006, so Walter Rich did not do everything to keep her running. All he did was hold on to her for possible resurrection. Second, I believe uhaul is correct in saying that the 3636 was the last F45 in active service. MRL 391 and 393 were scrapped in 2007. MRL 390(former NYSW 3638) and 392 are now in Progress Rail hands in Chicago(I believe). Not sure if they still survive...

#537436  by washingtonsecondary

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:You know if Mr. Rich was still with out this engine would be back. He did everything to keep that locomotive running. I guess now it will only run on model railroads :wink: .
It is a piece of equipment. They fail over time and need to be replaced. I will never understand sedimentality over iron.

#537468  by scottychaos

washingtonsecondary wrote:
Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:You know if Mr. Rich was still with out this engine would be back. He did everything to keep that locomotive running. I guess now it will only run on model railroads :wink: .
It is a piece of equipment. They fail over time and need to be replaced. I will never understand sedimentality over iron.
you may not understand it, thats fine..
but its the reason why 90% of us are even here, on these forums, and are railfans at all..

"sentimentality over iron" is what its all about..

Scot

#537524  by Noel Weaver

Whether Walter Rich is with us or not, the Susquehanna is a business.
They are not a railroad museum nor a museum operation. If you want to
see that engine preserved, start obtaining support, eslpecially financial.
The engine is basically obselete and it is quite likely that it is all done.
Now is the time for some of you to put your money where your mouth is.
Noel Weaver
 #543359  by uhaul

while it is not a sentimentality over just iron per say, but railfans are sentimental to the shapes, stories, paint schemes, and whatever railroad oriented shape or purpose iron takes on.
 #543396  by GOLDEN-ARM

uhaul wrote:while it is not a sentimentality over just iron per say, but railfans are sentimental to the shapes, stories, paint schemes, and whatever railroad oriented shape or purpose iron takes on.
What the heck does that even mean, Terry? Geez......
 #543439  by Steve F45

just a guess, but maybe he was saying how railfans are sentimental to anything rail related? especially when its something rare like 3636 beeing that there aren't many f45's with the original 20cly let alone a rebuilt f45.
 #543744  by GOLDEN-ARM

I guess saying "I like F-45's" was too hard?
 #543815  by ANDY117

If you want to see it so bad, just go down by the shops and take photos to your hearts content. It's not that hard to see.

And apparently it isn't a crew favorite, from talking to most of them. It's loud, and rather uncomfortable.