Railroad Forums 

• CP5 - Ridgefield Park, NJ CSX connector to the "Q"

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#529342  by BlockLine_4111

Looking down into CP5 while driving east on RT46 i see the connector sending River Line trains to/from the "Q" domain across the water. What should be going up/down the "Q" and the Tier now goes River Line. How times have changed.

#529371  by Anchorman

Where's the CP5 you're referring to? The CP5 I know of has the Buffalo Line coming off of it off the Chicago Line in Western NY. You think times have changed? Wait a few years and see where the NYS&W is then.....

#529416  by GOLDEN-ARM

CP-5 on the Riverline, is at Bergen Turnpike/Overpeck Creek. It's at the enterance to the NYS&W Little Ferry Yard. Anyplace with a MP based CP system, could, in theory have a "CP-5". It's an old "mecca" of sorts, for "Q" fans, and Conrail fans alike......... :wink:

#529697  by blockline4180

Anchorman wrote: Wait a few years and see where the NYS&W is then.....
Well, the NYSW name may be gone in a few years, but IMHO, it's not impossible that more CSX freights may be be routed over the NYSW/Tier route. It may not be probable now with the way rail freight traffic is, but with CNY/NYSW upgrading the Tier route to 40 mph by 2009, and container traffic expected to increase at the ports, new routings may be needed for overflow traffic!

#529927  by Otto Vondrak

Anchorman wrote:Where's the CP5 you're referring to? The CP5 I know of has the Buffalo Line coming off of it off the Chicago Line in Western NY. You think times have changed? Wait a few years and see where the NYS&W is then.....
What does Buffalo have to do with the NYS&W in 2008? The original poster clearly referenced Route 46 and the River Line, neither of which are in Buffalo.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #529929  by Otto Vondrak

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Looking down into CP5 while driving east on RT46 i see the connector sending River Line trains to/from the "Q" domain across the water. What should be going up/down the "Q" and the Tier now goes River Line. How times have changed.
There's been a connector to the NYS&W at CP 5 for some time now... unless I misunderstood what you're asking or telling us?

-otto-

#530083  by Anchorman

What does Buffalo have to do with the NYS&W in 2008? The original poster clearly referenced Route 46 and the River Line, neither of which are in Buffalo.

I asked a question. Sorry it didn't meet your standards.
 #530402  by n01jd1

Otto Vondrak wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:Looking down into CP5 while driving east on RT46 i see the connector sending River Line trains to/from the "Q" domain across the water. What should be going up/down the "Q" and the Tier now goes River Line. How times have changed.
There's been a connector to the NYS&W at CP 5 for some time now... unless I misunderstood what you're asking or telling us?

-otto-
Conrail put it in just before the split in the spring of '99. As far as I know, Conrail only used it once just before Memorial day of '99 to bring empty intermodal cars to Little Ferry to run the first MAIL-5 after the CSX takeover. Thankfully for all concerned they finally put in a power switch when they redid the CP-5 interlocking for the double track.
 #554621  by fw2008

It appears that there are a couple more connectors further south, I guess it's Secaucus, maybe North Bergen.
I have been looking at Google Earth maps a lot, trying to build a prototypical simulation of the CSX Riverline and the 'Q' in Trainz 2006.
I am trying to get better maps of the Q from Oakland to the connector in Campbell Hall NY. The NASA maps are terrible for that area. All I can see is a blur of white where the track is.

I would like to know whether there are any passing tracks on the Q.
I remember back in the late 90's when I used to hang at CP5, we took a ride to Sparta Jct one evening to watch a meet where one train had to back down the siding, then come back out after the southbound train had passed. It was quite interesting to watch, but not very cost efficient if you're trying to move freight in a timely manner.

BTW; What's happening with the old Suzy-Q? Is she going to be bought out by CSX?

FW
 #554637  by Noel Weaver

The designations for control points between New York and Chicago changes along with the disignation of "Lines East" and
"Lines West" at Buffalo. CP-437 is the highest numbered control point on the Chicago Line in New York State. West of that
point both the MP designations and the CP designations go back to zero.
There are two CP-5's, one in New Jersey on the River Line and one in Buffalo.
Noel Weaver