• A visit to the Syracuse Shops

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Lehighton_Man

Hey all,
Today, i'm going to pass through Syracuse to get to the adirondacks, and was considering a visit to the NYSW Syracuse Shops.
Firstly, i there anything 'special' i should know, like times not to go, etc.
Second, do they even allow railfans to walk around the place after signing a liabiity waiver?
Thanks,
Sean
  by washingtonsecondary

Lehighton_Man wrote:Second, do they even allow railfans to walk around the place after signing a liabiity waiver?
Thanks,
Sean
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

by Lehighton_Man

so, they dont?
figured as much
thanks anyway
Cheers.
Sean

by Steamtown Observer

Aside from the fact that the shops are (were?) in Utica, not Syracuse.

by scottychaos

I dont think there has ever been a "syracuse shops" for the NYSW..
yes there was Utica, but they pulled out of Utica last August.

For engine terminal/shop areas that leaves Binghamton, Little Ferry...and is that it? I think so..

the only place in Syracuse that NYSW locomotives ever congregate is Armory Square downtown, but the gate is almost always closed, the station is closed, and there is no real public access to the area. (and often there is no NYSW to see there anyway..)

actually there is not much railfanning potential for NYSW in Syracuse,
unless you happen to catch something running, which in my experience is very difficult.

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Asked and answered.