Railroad Forums 

• Diner Lounge Car # 507 Florida Bound.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#526028  by rcbsd45

At work this afternoon, coming south, we passed Q409-16, just north of
North Bergen, and the next to last car in the train is the NYS&W 507,
the diner/lounge car. It has been sold to CSX and is enroute to its new
home in Florida to join the CSX office car fleet. The train, which was
awaitng a new crew at North Bergen, was also to pick up a rider, that
is, someone paid by CSX to occupy the car enroute to Florida to ensure
nothing goes wrong. Here it is:

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1127635

Anyway, its not a great shot, but considering it was taken at 35 MPH,
its about as good as I was gonna do. No word yet on the disposition of
the other two cars that were spotted in Selkirk recently.

#526938  by BlockLine_4111

Is this coach of AutoTrain heritage?

#527707  by kingfish

507 is not sold as of April 21, 2007.

#527751  by rcbsd45

My source (for what its worth) was CSX supervision, and more than one individual at that. I have no reason to believe otherwise, as the waybill in the train consist had it billed as CSX/Jacksonville. However, the reporting marks on the car were still listed in the paperwork(and on the cars) as NYSW 0507, and I would assume that those marks would have been changed for any new owner prior to shipping from Selkirk. If it wasnt sold, then perhaps you can shed light on the subject as to it being leased out maybe.... My sources within the company indicated otherwise. either way, the car is no longer on the property, and I would be surprised if it went 1500 miles for a short term lease to an individual.(One story had it that the 507, 508, and 509 were to become personal cars to CSX VP Tony Ingrahm)

#527824  by Steamtown Observer

As a sheer technicality, NYSW still owns the cars. The issue is the payment terms were net 30 days and CSX basically substituted net 90 days for payment. In other words CSX will pay them slower than the NYSW would like but the result is still the same - these cars have left the NYSW roster for good.

#528060  by washingtonsecondary

The sudden changes from net 30 to net 90 are nothing new. I have customers who do it all the time, but usually just to 60 days. Usually happens when the buying customer is a major (or biggest) customer to the selling company. But like others have said, the cars are gone.

#528722  by kingfish

508 & 509 are scheduled to return to Syracuse on Monday 4/28 and be stored with the other pass cars.

The President of NYSW stated to me that 507 is not sold at this point.

:wink:

Kingfish