Railroad Forums 

• bing to utica ?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#499760  by 3shorts

Anybody know where the Binghamton-Utica line was washed out? Last year.

#499780  by scottychaos

Going on two years ago now..
the washout was June 2006.

There are several washouts between Greene and Sherburne.
the line remains OOS between "Forks" north to Sherburne.
and it looks like its going to remain OOS forever.

Scot

#499805  by RussNelson

I expect that if/when NYRI gets approved, you will find the railroad quickly repaired and used to bring in supplies. Also see Stop NYRI.

#499819  by blockline4180

RussNelson wrote:I expect that if/when NYRI gets approved, you will find the railroad quickly repaired and used to bring in supplies. Also see Stop NYRI.
Supplies??? Why not just truck them in?

Sorry, but I never see the line ever getting repaired!

#499836  by RussNelson

blockline4180 wrote:Why not just truck them in?
Are you lost? This is railroad.net, not trucking.net.

#499905  by JoeCollege

The washouts are most significant between Norwich and Chenango Forks, the most obvious are south of Brisben.

IF the NYRI project goes through, it will probably run as far south as the Woods Corners area of Norwich, then over to Sidney and down the Route 8 corridor. Since the line remains intact and semi-active from Utica to Sherburne, I'd expect any rail-delivered tower shipments to traverse Utica to Woods Corners, with the remainder of the line OOS forever.

#499947  by blockline4180

RussNelson wrote:
Excuse me??? Uhh, what is your point?? My point is the line will probably not see any rail service south of Sherburne, period!! Besides, aren't you a rails to trails advocate??

#499952  by lvrr325

Who actually owns the ROW through those counties?

#499960  by RussNelson

blockline4180 wrote:
RussNelson wrote:
Excuse me??? Uhh, what is your point?? My point is the line will probably not see any rail service south of Sherburne, period!!
You asked "why not just truck them in?" on railroad.net. I would think that most people here would be advocates of using the railroad as a railroad. Think of the weight and lengths of the steel that needs to be moved for these power line towers. So I'd say "Why not just fix the railroad and bring them in by rail?"
Besides, aren't you a rails to trails advocate??
Well, I'm more like a "railbed to trails" advocate. I've seen enough ruined railroad ROWs that my philosophy is "Never Again" should a ROW become abutted upon. Not One Inch.

#500088  by GOLDEN-ARM

Enough, fellers....... :wink: It does seem highly strange, and illogical, to support trucking on the RR.Net site. Rails to trails, while sad, would be sadder if it were "rails to truck routes"....... :( Keep it moving, and keep it civil. Thanks!!! :-D

#500141  by blockline4180

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Enough, fellers....... :wink: It does seem highly strange, and illogical, to support trucking on the RR.Net site. Rails to trails, while sad, would be sadder if it were "rails to truck routes"....... :( Keep it moving, and keep it civil. Thanks!!! :-D
Okay, sorry...I apologize!

#500166  by Steve F45

wasn't there an article about the nyri not using the tracks anymore?

#500209  by ricebrianrice

Rich Dean posted this on the Susquehanna Yahoo Group.

"According to an article in today's www.recordonline.com, the online version of the Middletown Times-Herald-Record, announces a new routing proposed for the NYRI power line instead of using the railroad:

By Steve Israel
Times Herald-Record
February 04, 2008
NEW YORK — The massive power line that could slice through our region has been forced to consider new routes along the New York State Thruway and the Marcy-South power line.
The proposed 190-mile-long New York Regional Interconnect will not, as many feared, cut through the scenic, environmentally sensitive Delaware River corridor.
But don't bet on NYRI replacing its 10-story tall towers with underground lines.
Related Stories

* Department of Energy sued over power line corridor
* Environmental groups plan to sue feds over power-line corridor
* NYRI asking PSC for clarification on siting lines
* State wants new hearing on power line
* State wants rehearing on power-line designation
* NYRI's claim against law is dismissed
* Region's energy needs debated
* Ruling boosts NYRI: Energy Dept. says East Coast needs power
* Hinchey vows to fight power line designation

These were among the issues covered by NYRI's president, Chris Thompson, last week in an interview with the Times Herald-Record.
The Colorado resident is an engineer and senior vice president of power plant builder American Consumer Industries, which is backing the $1.6 billion NYRI project.
The interview comes weeks before NYRI submits its revised application to the state Public Service Commission.
&italics;Q. Why did you choose the original route, which stretches from Utica to New Windsor and cuts through Orange and Sullivan counties?
A. It was based on rights of way of existing railroad lines to utilize existing utility corridors and minimize impact.
&italics;Q. Why are you now mentioning the Thruway and Marcy-South among alternative routes?
A. The Public Service Commission said we had not studied enough alternatives. Two of the areas we were directed to look at were the Thruway and Marcy-South.
&italics;Q. What will be the final route?
A. We are absolutely leaving it up to the PSC to determine it. One may be preferable for the environment. Another may be least intrusive to landowners. Another could be preferable for capital costs.
&italics;Q. What are the positives or negatives of specific routes?
A. We don't want to comment. It will be in the submission.
&italics;Q. Will the route still cut through the western Orange County Village of Otisville?
A. A number of options don't do that.
&italics;Q. How about the Delaware River corridor?
A. That's not a viable plan. Here's this pristine area where everyone goes hiking and camping. We're not going through there.
Q. What are your criteria in choosing your route?
A. We're most interested in going from point A (Utica, where there's a power substation) to point B (New Windsor, the Rock Tavern power substation). The exact route doesn't change that.
&italics;Q. How about going underground?
A. That would have reduced visual impact, but it would have dramatic economic impact. If it needed repair, it could take weeks as opposed to hours.
&italics;Q. How do you view the immense criticism the power line has generated?
A. Most of it isn't opposed to the project, just the specific route, you know NIMBY. But at the end of the day, someone will be unhappy. The PSC will weigh the best interests.
&italics;Q. What about using eminent domain (now prohibited by a state law)?
A. We're not proposing to take people's homes.
&italics;Q. What do you expect the project to accomplish?
A. We have low-cost power upstate that can't reach downstate, where new power is very expensive. This would also allow new renewable energy projects to be built upstate and bring power downstate and reduce wholesale electrical pricing throughout the state.
&italics;Q. Would you want to live in the shadow of a power line?
A. Obviously not. But the founding fathers recognized the need of a few to sacrifice for the majority. And if it's needed, we will pay above fair market value for a right of way."

#500216  by trainwayne1

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Enough, fellers....... :wink: It does seem highly strange, and illogical, to support trucking on the RR.Net site. Rails to trails, while sad, would be sadder if it were "rails to truck routes"....... :( Keep it moving, and keep it civil. Thanks!!! :-D
As someone who has been employed by in both the rail and trucking industries, I feel that it's "old fashioned" thinking to try to think with tunnel vision about rail vs. truck issues. The railroads have many transportation advantages for certain commodities, as do trucks. In fact, the two modes can and should compliment each other by working together. "Highly strange, and illogical, to support trucking" sounds like a quote right out of the 50's and 60's rail management vocabulary, and we all know what that type of business thinking led to (can you say Penn Central?). Any type of business that can involve the railroads in whatever capacity should be supported.
I remember reading the monthly columns by John Kneiling (sp?) in Trains magazine in the 60's and 70's when he was calling for intermodal co-operation and unit trains as the way railroads would save themselves....although it took the Staggers act to get his theories to work. The percentage of carloadings on the rails today that are intermodal in one way or another make up a big portion of the business.
JMHO