Railroad Forums 

• Siding Construction at Newfound, NJ

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#494046  by CGRLCDR

I was up at the intersection of Green Pond Road and Rt 23 yesterday and noticed that someone was constructing what appears to be a siding at the Newfoundland Station on the Susuehanna. The siding looks to be connecting with the section of track used to store the old coach that I think belonged to the Morris County Central Railroad at one time. Does anyone know what's going on up there?

#494163  by Steve F45

were there any plans to move the cars that were stored up there?

#494254  by grumpyoldman

I know its OT but seeing this post caused me to check on a 2003 indy film I've seen recently called The Station Agent. As I suspected, the Newfoundland station was used in the film and according to Wikipedia it was shot largely in the area.

John

http://jovos.smugmug.com/

#494332  by CGRLCDR

Grumpyoldman, right you are.

Everytime I drive by there I glance over to see if Pat Clarkson is in the parking lot waiting for Sven. (Maybe she'll invite me over to her place on Green Pond Lake for lunch (which is actually on Lake Hopatcong in the movie)). One scene in the movie is filmed in the old passenger car where the siding is being constructed. My guess is that someone bought the car and is looking to move it out of Newfoundland to some new location.

#494422  by Steve F45

i'll take a drive up there tomorrow since im off from work till thursday and report back what i find.

#494513  by cjvrr

The station owner has gotten at least one piece of track equipment, a Fairmont Derrick car. When we ran the speeder trip last fall he and his family were working on extending the siding. Not sure if he plans on getting more equipment, but that would be my guess.

Chris

#495559  by mainetrain

January' '08 railpace mentions available NJ monies and a corresponding bullet list of railroads/projects. The NYSW had a list. One of the items was siding work in Newfoundland.

#495609  by cjvrr

Mainetrain,

Thats an entirely different project and is meant to be implemented with NJT passenger service. The NJ State Funding list as posted elsewhere in railroad.net has probably a dozen projects listed that 'qualify' to be funded. There is no guarantee that any of them will be funded.
 #495682  by meat441

Took a quick ride there today and saw some new ties layed for about 40 feet. Couple lengths of rail placed down, but no connection to the mainline. Ballast is being spread. This is all connected to the where the Morris County Central passenger car is located. Have some pictures if i can figure how to get them on the blog.

#495949  by mainetrain

Thanks for the clarification!
 #897023  by sullivan1985

I know the family who owns the station. I've even helped with some manual track work before by using a hand pump to move the passenger car so the siding it sits on could be rebuilt. The siding is currently severed from the main, but I've been told the goal in the long run is to get a switch in and get the cars ready to roll. Time and money of course are factors here.