Railroad Forums 

• Passaic, Lodi, and Edgewater Branches

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#492960  by riffian

I spent Sunday checking out all three New Jersey branches for the first time in a couple of years. I found all three lines moribund, but still with tracks in place.

Passaic Branch - Still exists, although there hasn't been a train on the line since Garden State Paper closed over five years ago. Won't be any more as GSP is being demolished and the tracks within their plant have been removed. Tracks are still in place up to Lanza St and on the branch to the Central Bergen Terminal.

Lodi Branch - for the first time ever, (in my experience) there were no cars spotted at Flexwrap (Bear Bags), the line's only customer. The new trackage which has been reported as some kind of repair facility was also bereft of cars. All track was heavily rusted. I did note that the repair facility at Passaic Junction, next to Mayhill Street in Saddle Brook, is active and in fact a GP-38 came out lite and picked up 5 repaired cars while I was there on Sunday.

Edgewater Branch - track still extends up to the 1&9 viaduct, but does not appear to have been used in some time. There was a new C&D facility constructed about four years ago in Fairview, with a new siding down from the elevated Edgewater branch. This trackage was rusted, although there was a sign on the gate stating the debris facility was operated by the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway. Not sure if this was one of the plants shut down by the State, but it is a brand new facility, the only customer on the remains of the Edgewater branch, and appears now to be not active, at least railroad wise.

It has alwas been a mystery to me why these branches were kept in the first place. There is no traffic on two of them, minimal on the other and both Lodi and Passaic branches feature crossings of extremely busy highways which must create some liability, even without trains. I know the three lines were listed as potential abandonment candidates as required by law, but why they have lasted as long as they have is a real mystery. Perhaps Suskie's new management may not have such a warm feeling for them.

#493055  by kingfish

NJ real estate values...

#493209  by SemperFidelis

I wailitis down at the old Garden State Paper last week (Marcal is in the market for new warehousing facilities) and the tracks were still in place then.

I'd doubt it will ever reopen however. Got tied up in the whole Enron thing.

#493217  by njmidland

If you are talking about the modern NYS&W, don't forget the Pompton Industrial (or whatever they call it), which is the remnant of the NY&GL and the Limecrest Industrial, which is the remnant of the L&HR south of Sparta Jct. To the best of my knowledge they are both inactive as well.

#493239  by ascotell

I grew up near the 46 crossing on the Passaic branch. I know this is a little off toppic but does anyone have any pictures of that. I would love to have a picture of a train on the Branch. Thanks

#493550  by Steve F45

there are pictures on rrpicturearchives.net that were recent put up.

im just curious to where they moved the car repair. it was under rt80 in saddle brook. then it was moved to lodi when they installed a second track and add all that compacted ballast. But there hasn't been a car down there in months. I wonder with all the construction work there at essex street if they plan on upgrading the crossing's on 17 to those newer styel ones to make it smoother to drive over.

#493883  by PVRX1

The Pompton Branch appears to only be in use to the Quarry as there are often orange ballast hoppers spotted there, or being loaded. From here to transload facility and beyond, I have not seen any movements in some time.

The Limecrest has two or three customers at Sparta Junction, including
?Brooklyn Sugar?. Further down than that, it sees little if any use.