Railroad Forums 

• Lodi Branch work?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#459388  by alewifebp

Tonight I was in my old stomping ground and was on Essex Street. A lot of traffic was on Essex Street, and when I got to the crossing I saw what was up. They (probably NJDOT) were putting in a concrete rail holder thingy (not sure what to call it, but it allows for a smooth car ride over the rails at a crossing). And if I'm not mistaken, it also looked like they were putting in a signal! I didn't notice this before in all my years, so I don't know if the signal is new or not for sure, but I did see what looked like a new signal control box and a signal.

I know that there has been some speculation about whether the branch was going to be abandoned or not, but by the looks of it, it would appear that it will not be abandoned.

Anyone have any more information about this?

#459418  by Steve F45

Beet me too it. I posted on the nysw yahoo group that I saw a pile of new crossing surface at the corner there. Didn't see any work beeing done.

Now if they are finally replacing essex street crossing, will rt. 17 north and south be redone since the entire highway is getting revamped?

#459460  by mackdave

Yes, the crossing is finally being replaced. I spoke with one of the workers on Monday while at the crossing. He said that the work was being started.

#459586  by CarterB

Given the location of that crossing on 17 under the 80 overpass, are the existing signal lights alone sufficient to actually stop traffic safely?

#459587  by Steve F45

CarterB wrote:Given the location of that crossing on 17 under the 80 overpass, are the existing signal lights alone sufficient to actually stop traffic safely?
when they were rebuilding the line in 2006 i watched them shove a ballast train towards 17. The lights and bell were activated for a lil bit before trucks and busses stopped, cars didn't stop till teh train was inching across the highway. That was the n/b side. The s/b side stopped as soon as they saw the lights. I guess it was a lil easier since it was in the darkness under the overpass.

#459793  by alewifebp

I've seen the video that someone had posted. The engineer just basically lays on the horn until everyone stops. Buses have to stop anyway to look both ways at the crossing since it is not exempt.

Anyway, this is interesting news.

#459796  by Steve F45

I drove by today. They have the east bound lanes completly done with new road crossing and rail. The w/b lanes are not done yet. I guess its easier this way instead of closing off all of essex street for a few days. Could only imagine the traffic that would cause.

And yes they have installed crossing protection. New signal posts with flashing lights for essex street, the road that leads to the home depot and a set facing the carwash.

edit: forgot to add that the new rail that is installed is alot higher then what is already on the row. Wonder if they will reballast the tracks a bit and get rid of the roller coaster like effect on the rails.