Railroad Forums 

• Parts of NYSW's old E9s

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#455450  by Sid Farkus

I do not know the parts of a locomotive at all. I have a question on two parts that Im really unsure of on NYSWs E9s. One is the box that looks like a winterization hatch that is on the rear of the locomotive. The second is the pipes that are on the side of top. If you could please help me out with giving reference to HO parts because I'm trying to model it in HO and I need to know what is most precise to those 2 parts.

#455599  by snitkofj

The locomotive appears to have 2 winterization hatchs. both are centered on the roof (side to side), one starts just behind the cab door, the other one is above the reporting markings over the rear truck. The structure at the rear of locomotive is probably related to HEP. Hopefully there's someone with more knowledge of these specific locos on the forum

#455896  by lvrr325

In a previous life these units were Burlington Northern/Metra Chicago commuter power; I know I've seen articles on modeling them - Morrison-Knudsen initially rebuilt them around 1973 with HEP and I believe 645 power assemblies.
 #456146  by Don

The piping & hatch (where the S/G was located) indicates the presence of HEP as previously posted. You might check Elwoods fallen flags site for pix of Metra & CN/IC E9's that are pretty much the same as the Q's. Another photo source might be RRpicturearchives.net There's a lot of work to detailing these per the Q'. The piping can be easily modeled from .025 wire but you need good photos to do the box w/fans in the dynamic brake hatch & the detail on the rear roof hatch. Blanking the ports can be tedious as well as adding the the louvers on the lower rear sides. About 15 years ago, I modeled CR's E8 4021 using photos I had taken. This involved a lot of work to come up w/a credible model.
Don

#456325  by lvrr325

The CN/IC E9s also came from the BN/Metra 9900s - these would be the current ones that got black paint, not their original brown and orange E's.

#456401  by Sid Farkus

What horns are on the E9s?

#457408  by mountie17

There were two seperate horns, stemming from the BN-Metra days of service. A Leslie S-2M and a S-25, both pointed foward above the engineers side cab. When sounded both should sound similar to a S3L, but as time marched on I remember both engine's horns sounding horribly out of tune. For HO parts, Overland makes the S2M, while Custom Finishing makes the S-25. Hope this helps.

#457619  by Sid Farkus

Excellent. Thanks very much! I did see two videos from 1995 and 2001 or 1 and the horns did sound very different.

#457710  by Sid Farkus

While still on models. What paint color should be used for them? If you could link that would really help. Thanks