Railroad Forums 

• Susquehanna operations at Lanesboro & Hancock

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#443663  by werick

Hi All:

Does anyone know when the best time is to see trains on the Starrucca Viaduct, in Lanesboro PA? And also on the old Erie Main at Hancock NY?

Thanks

#443708  by ANDY117

Usually late evening or early morning. Occasionally BH-2 will take the SU-100 out early, but that's quite rare. Best to just check the Yahoo groups to see what stuff is moving when.

#443716  by ricebrianrice

Generally speaking, the SU-100 leaves Binghamton in late afternoon, early evening. So that puts it in Laneboro, and Hancock, at or around dark most of the year.

The Su-99 leaves Little Ferry NJ, at roughly the same time, so if everything goes right, they come into Binghamton in the very early morning. Thus it is dark once again in Hancock, and Lanesboro.

But that does not mean it is not possible to see them, I have, it just takes some timing and luck.

The Yahoo groups are good for information also:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/N ... =205226792

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Susquehan ... =205226792
 #443725  by werick

Thanks Brian, for the site link.

A few years ago I was traveling west on rt. 17 between Hancock and Deposit. I heard this rattling sound. I'm driving an old F150, so I assume it's the truck. So I pull over and get out. Damn! The sound is still there.

High up on a ridge, to the left, there it is. A slow freight, snaking it's way on the old Erie main, on the mountain side. It was winter, so I saw quite a bit.

I never saw the engines, so I don't know if it was NS or Susie Q. But I sat there for a while watching it go by. No camera or video, so I couldn't get a shot.

This year I will bring some cameras hoping to capture that scene again. As it was gorgeous.

Just think, these were the scenes you saw on the NYO&W every day. :-)

Warren