• Status of OnTrack service?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Tadman

What is the status on Ontrack these days? It totally dropped off my radar screen.

by Otto Vondrak

http://www.syracuseontrack.com/

Service has dropped off considerably... I'm not even sure the web site is current. I know they operate for special events at Carrier Dome- they encourage people to park downtown and take the train to SU games.

I'm not sure how many of the ex-MN RDC's are operable.

-otto-

by Tadman

So this isn't a regular headway service any more? The website looks 1998-ish.

by Otto Vondrak

As far as I can tell, they only operate for special events. There is a phone number listed, why don't you try giving them a call and report back to us what you find?

-otto-

by lvrr325

Past proceedure has been to not run the shuttle train in the winter months, like January to April. Wether or not they're running now, I don't even have any idea and I live near Syracuse. All you can do I guess is call their number, it used to be 1-800-FOR-TRAIN. They did run trains for the Maple Festival, but that's all I know of lately.

For weeks now NYS&W has been storing tank cars on the mainline from just outside the mall up to just clear of the switch for the sewage treatment plant, so you couldn't run into the mall anyways. The detours for the Onieda derailment had to run out past CP-293 and run around their train there.

by Otto Vondrak

Has anyone called the number listed to find out?

-otto-

by lvrr325

It appears they cleaned out the main along CSX into the mall, the L&BR gon and the CNY NRHS cars that sat at the mall have left at any rate.

An article in the Syracuse paper a while back claimed the additional bridge project at Park Street isn't dead, just lacks funding and they're having a hard time getting it.

It probably should be noted that the state senator who was the biggest supporter of this project, Mike Bragman, fell out of favor a long time ago and is no longer even in office. So there isn't anyone to really care about it either.

It's long been suggested by some parties that Ontrack was just a means to an end to get the north end of the DL&W free from Conrail, when the NYS&W wanted to take their stack trains away from CP/D&H, so what priority there is on operating the commuter shuttle particularly with Walter Rich's health issues, I couldn't begin to guess at.

by Steamtown Observer

Has anyone called the number listed to find out?
I did. It connects you to DO's office in Cooperstown. I "zeroed" out to the operator, who told me she had no idea what I was talking about, but suggested I call 877-TRAINRIDE for passenger trains - that's the NYS&WT&HS number!

by Otto Vondrak

SO- thanks for the update. Kinda funny. I guess OnTrack died, and no one showed up for the wake? Maybe it was a private gathering with no viewing.

For all we know the funding is there, but sometimes it takes years for the funds to actually get released! Who knows.

-otto-

by umtrr-author

Pity.

I'm pretty sure this was my kids' first "real" train ride, other than tourist excursions (although one could make the case that that's all OnTrack was as well).

I am almost positive this was my daughter's first train trip. All the way from the Carousel Center (itself looking a little long in the tooth last time I was there) to the SU end of the line and back. Can't say the RDC was full even then, it would have been at least three or four years ago.

by lvrr325

Well, we went down Hiawatha Boulevard tonight and you could see tank cars in storage on the bridge, and there appeared to be more on the siding at CP-296; I'm not sure what customer gets them, but there's no way the shuttle could run to the Mall, so it's probably not operating. Must be they just pulled them out long enough to move the other cars.

If I think of it I'll ask a guy who'd know more about it when I talk to him next. There were some rumors that someone else would take over that shuttle service. I believe Onondaga County actually owns those RDCs (could be wrong here), but I don't think there's anyone local to make a stink about them not being used. The County Executive is retiring and everyone's worried about who's taking his place in the fall.. both parties may have to have a primary.

by lvrr325

I talked to my friend and asked about this; shuttle is not being run; County is not happy as they're paying the railroad for a service not being performed; reason behind it is apparently fairly involved and my friend didn't have time to get into it.

by RailBus63

Sorry, but OnTrack is a waste. The City Express links a popular shopping destination with … nothing. The downtown station is blocks away from the Centro bus hub. The Syracuse University station is a long walk down the hill from the main campus - students who wish to go to the mall are going to change from the Centro dorm shuttle bus to one of the mall buses (which will bring them right to one of the main entrances, not an open-air platform behind the back parking lot). It's only useful for S.U. football shuttles, but that's not something the county or state should be spending tax money on.

It's not even a good railfan experience - most of the line is inaccessible for photography and most of the 'scenery' consists of run-down industrial buildings.

Jim D.

by joebass123

it's a shame. if proper planning (something that doesn't exist in the syracuse area) was initiated and followed thru with, they could really link a lot of different areas together - residential - commercial - possibly businness areas. syracuse itself is separted by elevated highways and run down buildings that many people will not walk through to get from point a to point b. a proper light rail service could really help intertwine different sections of the city. i was out walking around the ballpark this past week (near the amtrak station) and they actually built an ontrack train station right outside of the stadium. not sure when it was actually built or if it's ever been used. probably built around 2002-ish? and they also have some rail tracks going from the unused station out southwestard towards the farmers regional market and then the tracks just stop. so i'm sure something happened within that time period (lack of money, lack of planning, lack of momentum). kinda sad. as a baseball fan and rail fan, i'd love to be able to park at the armory sqaure station, take a train to the game in the summer for $2, come back and get some drinks with friends, etc...

by RailBus63

The 'problem' is that Syracuse is a small city with a good road network. I live in Camillus and I can get to any other part of the metropolitan area in 20 minutes or less.

OnTrack is hampered by the routes that the Lackawanna and its predecessors selected ages ago. As much as I'd like to see a ballpark service succeed, it's just unrealistic to expect that families (which are the bulk of the attendees at Chiefs games) are going to drive all the way into Armory Square, eat at expensive restaurants there and then pay to ride a train to the ballpark and back when ample parking is available right next to the stadium. Train service to the Carrier Dome works because of the scarcity of parking there - most patrons are forced to park on the fringes of the university and ride a crowded bus to the Dome.

As far as light-rail in Syracuse is concerned - one route that holds promise (really the only route) would be Syracuse University - Downtown - Carousel Mall (er, Destiny USA … if it ever gets built). I could envision a route that loops through the University and medical centers, then travels down Adams Street to the planned Centro bus terminal. From there, it could head up South Salina Street before swinging past Armory Square, then turn north past Franklin Square and the planned Inner Harbor area to the mall. The unbuilt OnTrack link to the transportation center and ballpark could also be used for the trolleys. Ideally, the route would also include a large parking lot off I-81 near the mall to allow light-rail trains to effectively serve as shuttles for major events in the downtown and harbor areas and as a Dome shuttle for sporting events, and a potential branch could also be built going southwest from the harbor area to a second lot near I-690.

Jim