Railroad Forums 

• Questions about high gons and mileposts

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#389190  by grumpyoldman

I was in Lackawaxen Pa yesterday and saw a bunch of these cars on the siding there.

What are they used for?
They are stenciled for NYSW but many had the Bangor and Aroostook logo. Does NYSW own them but just didn't bother to paint over the logo?

The milepost says JC110. What does the JC represent?

Thanks

John

#389196  by washingtonsecondary

Those are garbage cars. They are owned by the NYS&W the logo isn't as important as the reporting marks. JC is Jersey City. The mile markers are marking the distance to the old Erie Rail terminal since this used to be Erie rails. According to the mile marker you were approximatly 110 rail miles from Jersey City.

#389369  by Steve F45

Roughly how many cars were there? Im surprised to see them marked NYSW. Last time I saw nysw stenciled garbage cars the crews in jersey were painting them over and putting on new stencils.

#389385  by grumpyoldman

I didn't count them but I would guess there were around 10, give or take a couple.
John

#389452  by trainfreak

Last time I was up there chasing there were a lot more than 10 and that was back in March. Those were some of the first cars that were used in hauling the C&D out of NJ. I believe they were sidelined due to a different braking system/part but I cant remember the exact reason.