Railroad Forums 

• What kinds of freight does NYSW haul?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#359380  by RichM

OK, thanks for the correction, I had seen the gondolas from 287 on the NY&GL and assumed NYS&W was involved.

Sounds like a littele poetic license could be taken to get NYS&W involved...

#359630  by SemperFidelis

A correction on the dirt train operations:

The dirt trains ran to a rehabilitated spur about 1.5 miles east of the Lincoln Park train station which lead to an area formerly occupied by a VOA (Voice of America) radio transmission site. I witnessed this operation on several occassions and was even questioned by the pre-9/11 police forces out to ensure pulic servitude.

The NYS&W bid on the dirt operation, part of the bid being the rehabilitation of most of the old Greenwood Lake branch between the pipe company in Pompton (end of active track back then) and the area of the abandoned brewery (I think it was a brewery) in Wayne. This bid was rejected as it would have involved a conveyor system which would have caused the destruction of a small number of homes.

You can see the site of the old branch / wetlands here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... iwloc=addr

Just east of the bridge, the light area extending SSE to NNW.

#361681  by gravelyfan

trainwayne1 wrote: Actually, the fill that was dug up to increase wetlands came out of Wayne, NJ via Conrail. They ran up the NY&GL from the junction just west of the Mtn. Veiw statio to near the Wayne-Pequannock border. The fill was hauled to Jersey City and used for fill in Liberty State Park near the restored CNJ terminal.
The "Dirt Trains" were loaded on a temporary Rail Spur (I believe it was the R.W. Vogel spur or something like that, named for the contractor doing the job) which diverged from the NJT Ex DL&W Boonton Line (NOT the ex Erie Greenwood Lake Line). The track connection was just east of the Pequannock River bridge, and while the track is gone, the embankment/right of way created for the spur is very visible as you go by on a Boonton Line train.

#362767  by BlockLine_4111

if there crap they should be scrap
Are you referring to locomotives?

Maybe your quote should say "If the Locos are crap they are bound for scrap"??

:wink:

#362775  by GOLDEN-ARM

The spelling, and syntax are wrong, as well. Probably a 13 year old kid, without a clue........................... :(

#362796  by BlockLine_4111

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:The spelling, and syntax are wrong, as well. Probably a 13 year old kid, without a clue........................... :(
I am having visions of NIMX/E-Port boneyards when I was that age and my grandfather took me to visit the rusting relics.

#362799  by GOLDEN-ARM

When I was that age, I was running the transfer table, behind the shops, after a day spent begging cab rides, around Oak Island. A round trip, or two, to Bayonne, on the Scoots, and the cab ride back to Fanwood, for the bike ride back to Berkeley Heights. Going to bed late (after playing "spot", in the yard), then leaving the house, at 0'Dark thirty, to do it all over again.............. :-D I can't recall how many days I "forgot" to go to school, in exchange of a day bumming around some yard, or roundhouse. Out of school suspension, was just another set of days off, for cab rides, or helping around the shops. (Thank-You, Tony Jules, for guiding me to the right hand seat) Lot's of Alcos back then, the untold number of unpainted units, patched, then sadly enough, the beginning of "Big-Blue". The NJCT was a real paradise, for those with the time, and ambition, to try to explore it all. Regards :wink:
 #367251  by Dcell

Back when I was living in NJ in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the SuzyQ hauled Sea-Land stack cars. I understand that business is no more. So is there much long-haul traffic for the Suzy Q today? Who are its biggest customers?
 #792702  by SemperFidelis

Grain / flour for Frito Lay
Very rare loads of slate out of Deposit, NY
Soon to be a large amount of wood to an upgraded Wood Pellet facility in Deposit, NY
Feed for Cochecton Mills, Cochecton, NY
Very rare load of lumber for Narrowsburg Lumber, Narrowsburg, NY
Feed for Narrowsburg Feed, Narrowsburg, NY
Very limited amount of interchange traffic for the Stourbridge Line, Lackawaxen, PA

Keep your eyes open for new traffic from the west and the east in the next few months.
 #858376  by X4401

I don't know if its on topic enough but I have seen what look like tank cars on two occasions in the last two weeks going west under the Route 15 bridge around 07:00 recently. On both occasions I only saw tank cars slowly going west around the curve with a blinking FRED (the front of the train was already around the curve and out of sight). Does this mean they have a new customer requiring 10+ tank cars?