Railroad Forums 

• What kinds of freight does NYSW haul?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#356971  by ANDY117

Let's see:

Lumber
C&D
Plastic pellets
vegetable oils/corn syrup
corn starch
LPG
various gondola loads
CO2
Anhydrous Ammonia
Chlorine

Anything else that I missed?

#356978  by trainfreak

Occasionally loaded autoracks from i think Hertz. Not 100% sure though.

#357007  by Steve F45

autoracks are yes. usually i see about 4 or 5 on a 99.

#357090  by ANDY117

I knew I forgot something! There's usually 1 or 2 on the 100.

#357304  by SemperFidelis

Fair decent amount of scrap paper for Marcal.

#357501  by ut-1

On the Utica Branch, besides some of the other items mentioned above, the NYS&W also hauls: 1) hops for Matt's Brewery (Utica Club & Saranac); 2) grain for agro facilities in Sangerfield; 3) tank cars for Oneida Asphalt, also in Sangerfield; 4) beer for a wholesaler in New York Mills; 5) steel for a highway sign company in New York Mills; and 6) large cardboard rolls for a box company in New Hartford (Jefferson Smurfit). Not sure if the NYS&W still serves Sherburne where a pet food company used to take many cars and lumber was loaded from a nearby mill (the only loading to occur on the Utica Branch in recent years I believe).

#357671  by SemperFidelis

Some, but not a lot, of stone and other aggregate from the Tilcon Riverdale Quarry off I-287 / Route 23 in Riverdale, NJ.

#357890  by njtransitrookie

GARBAGE ?

#358273  by cjvrr

SemperFidelis wrote:Some, but not a lot, of stone and other aggregate from the Tilcon Riverdale Quarry off I-287 / Route 23 in Riverdale, NJ.

Semper;

Just a minor correction. The Tilcon Riverdale Quarry has not gotten any type of rail service in over 30 years. However, Tilcon's Bloomingdale Quarry on the opposite side of the Pequannock River from the Riverdale operation has loaded some cars with ballast in the past. This is located on the Pompton Industrial (OLD Erie Greenwood Lake Branch). The ballast has typically been used on line.

About 10-15 years ago NJT did obtain ballast from the Limecrest Quarry up near Sparta. I remember seeing the NYS&W hauling unit ballast trains that were handed off in Hawthorne.

Going back beyond 30 years, the Riverdale operation supplied stone of all types and unloaded cement at the quarry. When I was really young I remember seeing the abandoned cement unloading facility and large storage silo adjacent to the stub track that went into the quarry. When Route 287 was built that area and the stub track were totally changed.

Lived in Riverdale the first 25 years of my life and moved to nearby Butler almost 10 year ago.

#358484  by SemperFidelis

I always get the two of those confused. Thank you for the knowledge!

NYSW is now in the business of hauling feed grain and other agricultural products since taking over the operation of the Southern Tier.

#358886  by RichM

The quarry topic reminded me of another short-term activity...

About the time that I-287 was about to be completed, one of the NJ State Superior Courts ruled that additional wetlands needed to be created/provided for as a condition of the highway's reopening. I believe there was addition excavation east of the quarries and the highway, parallel to the NY&GL, creating a wetlands area in that pocket. The excavated soil was hauled out for several months in gondolas.

#358889  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:I always get the two of those confused. Thank you for the knowledge!

NYSW is now in the business of hauling feed grain and other agricultural products since taking over the operation of the Southern Tier.
Weren't a couple of the grain facilities not receiving car loads for a few years BEFORE the NYSW took over? The ones I can think of are in Narrowsburg?

#359140  by SemperFidelis

As of a few months ago, I saw a few hoppers in Narrowsburg.

#359213  by trainwayne1

"The quarry topic reminded me of another short-term activity...

About the time that I-287 was about to be completed, one of the NJ State Superior Courts ruled that additional wetlands needed to be created/provided for as a condition of the highway's reopening. I believe there was addition excavation east of the quarries and the highway, parallel to the NY&GL, creating a wetlands area in that pocket. The excavated soil was hauled out for several months in gondolas"

Actually, the fill that was dug up to increase wetlands came out of Wayne, NJ via Conrail. They ran up the NY&GL from the junction just west of the Mtn. Veiw statio to near the Wayne-Pequannock border. The fill was hauled to Jersey City and used for fill in Liberty State Park near the restored CNJ terminal.

Going back another 35+ years, the Erie/ EL tried hauling sand from a pit in the Wanaque-Midvale area. The cars were very heavy and the track was not in very good shape, which resulted in several large derailments. Apparently, the railroad re-thought the economies of sand train "profits" vs. track maintainence costs and the trains were discontinued after a short period.