Railroad Forums 

• NYSW 3636

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#331037  by L'mont

What prompted the railroad to purchase an F45. Isn't this a passenger loco? Did they change the gearing and remove HEP or was that already done?

What is it's status today?

#331045  by charlie6017

I can't tell you why they bought it or the gearing specs, but I can tell you that it is currently being used in revenue freight service these days.

#331073  by Steve F45

wasn't the f45 just a freight loco? I thought the FP45's were the passenger version with hep?

they had gotten 2 f45's to be # 3636 and 3638, 3638 went to MRL. But im sure they were given a good deal on all those ex BN sd45's and f45's at the time.

#331093  by cjvrr

It is a standard freight unit with the F carbody. As has been stated a passenger unit would have been designated FP-45.

NYS&W bought the 2 F-45s along with the 13 SD-45s. Not sure why they got two F-45s but supposedly Mr. Rich kept the 3636 after it had a failure, because it is a favorite of his. It was restored to service within the last year. Perhaps that is why he purchased them. He is a huge railfan.

Remember too that in 1986-87 the NYS&W was running quite a few passenger trains per year so there could have been a thought that they would be used on those intermittent trains.

It could also be the BN made a great deal to get rid of the F-45s as part of the 15 unit package. Doubt many RRs would want the F-45s because they can not safely be run long hood forward.

#331208  by RichM

I'm trying to remember this period too. Seems like BN side-lined about 60-80 units altogether in 85-86, the 15-year original leases seemed to expire in 3 month intervals beginning in 1984 (original acquisition dates beginning in 1969). NYS&W sent folks out west to evaluate what was on the dead line, and if the unit was able to start up and load and had a documented maintenance history they took it. Only concern was horsepower, not configuration. Now I'll stretch and say I think I remember Great Northern actually ordered the F's but it's been too long.

Karlewicz and Hartley indicate that there were two batches, 5 SD45's and 1 F45, the rest came in the second purchase a bit later.

Sounds like we gotta defer to Golden-Arm!

#331263  by Steve F45

cjvrr wrote:It is a standard freight unit with the F carbody. As has been stated a passenger unit would have been designated FP-45.

NYS&W bought the 2 F-45s along with the 13 SD-45s. Not sure why they got two F-45s but supposedly Mr. Rich kept the 3636 after it had a failure, because it is a favorite of his. It was restored to service within the last year. Perhaps that is why he purchased them. He is a huge railfan.

Remember too that in 1986-87 the NYS&W was running quite a few passenger trains per year so there could have been a thought that they would be used on those intermittent trains.

It could also be the BN made a great deal to get rid of the F-45s as part of the 15 unit package. Doubt many RRs would want the F-45s because they can not safely be run long hood forward.
The F45 is one of my favorites too.

#331960  by roadster

2 things, 1st, Walter is a Railfan and likes his toys, 2nd, when NYSW purchased these units they were handling alot of new business with the Sealand container contract, and then the defunct Gulford system D/H which they ran as the designated operator per the Gov. until a purchaser was determined. (CP Rail) So there was a great need for high horse power road engines. The SD-45's and F-45's are EMD so parts for the most part easy to acquire. The is also the same time period when NYSW acquired several b-40-8's with CSX financial assistance I believe, which is why they are now CSX property. Not to mention the SD-70's which I have no idea where they have wandered to. Last I heard they were in Ohio. Now that Walter is sinking into financial and legal quagmire the future of NYSW, and the fleet of antiques seems very cloudy.

#332293  by GOLDEN-ARM

The ex-BN units were a quick way to pick up high horsepower (3600 hp each) at a bargain basement price, to run the increasing stack business, out of Little Ferry. They were the best money could buy, at the time, and enough were purchased, to allow (in theory) the ability to rotate units in and out of service, with shop time being planned for. All units were pressed into service, and they saw little, if any maintainance, other than the mandated 92 day inspection,s as well as bi-annual, and annual inspections. Units were run to failure, and they were noted by us, to be the "oiliest" locos in service. Those F-45's were cold, drafty and not well liked, by the crews. Whether they were purchsed, to run OCS type trains, remains known only to Walter, and perhaps Joe S., for sure. They saw a trip or two, in that capacity, but they were everyday locos, when they ran, in TV and SU service. The Alcos were preferred leaders, as were the 1800's, which were quiet and warm, with a decent ride. SD-45's were next, with the F units last. The first GE we had, was a demonstrator, which wasn't much fun to run. (every time it idled down, we thought it was shutting down) The ordered locos finally arrived, in groups of four. They ended up on CSX, after a couple of years, with the SD-70's coming years after them. These were leased, not much later, as the money they were worth as leased units, allowed for other locos to be leased by Walter, with a nice profit, per unit, still being able to be put into the bank. Even later, the odd collection of locos seen now, was assembled, and the collection will likely continue to grow, as "bargains" are found. I agree, that the future is not very bright, with CSX and NS having a strangle-hold, on the traffic around the "Q". NS, CSX and the D&H/CP Rail can, and do, have service from NYC, to anywhere else on the east coast, and into the midwest. Not much of a call, for a railroad that has to hand over those cars, to one of the mentioned roads, at one end of the line, or the other. It's an uphill battle, for every carload, and Walter deserves a lot of credit, for making a go of it, as well as he has been, since the destruction of Conrail. Regards

#332759  by BlockLine_4111

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:The ex-BN units were a quick way to pick up high horsepower (3600 hp each) at a bargain basement price, to run the increasing stack business, out of Little Ferry.
Too bad the NYS&W couldn't get some of the ex-EL units from CR versus the BN units.
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Units were run to failure, and they were noted by us, to be the "oiliest" locos in service.
Hence why the grease trail down the center of the tracks heh?

#332763  by BlockLine_4111

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:The ex-BN units were a quick way to pick up high horsepower (3600 hp each) at a bargain basement price, to run the increasing stack business, out of Little Ferry.
Too bad the NYS&W couldn't get some of the ex-EL units from CR versus the BN units. I am also suprised those pre WW2 100lb. sticks lasted under the duress of the six axle EMD's and Sealand Superstackers.
GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Units were run to failure, and they were noted by us, to be the "oiliest" locos in service.
Hence why the grease trail down the center of the tracks heh?