Railroad Forums 

• Status of the NYSW E- Units?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#331036  by L'mont

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the E-9s are no longer used to pull the excurion looking trains. Are they not reliable enought and thats why they are only used to generate HEP. Why not do a little refurd if it's needed?

#331051  by trainfreak

Well now the NYSW doesnt even own them...about a month ago they were sold and shipped to Larry's Truck and Electric. Cant tell you why they sold them but i dont think they were well liked by the crews who ran them.

#331074  by Steve F45

When was the last time nysw ran an excursion using them? I've never seen one down here in jersey.

im surprised nysw didn't take any power from ltex as a trade.

#331081  by trainfreak

As for the last time they were down here...it must have been one of the last fall exursions...or possibly the Easter/Santa train rides the NYSWTHS would have on on NJT. Except those could have been ran with borrowed NJT equipment. So im not 100% on that. As for exchange from LTEX it probaly went right into Walters pocket...or to the Popemobile.

#331094  by cjvrr

L'mont,

The NYS&W no longer runs excursion trains open to the public on the Southern Division. I believe the E-9s were purchased for use with the 142 Steamer. Once the decision came down to kill the passenger trains, the E-9s were no longer needed and placed in storage. They came out to play once in a while on work trains, on a freight, or for an inspection train.

I have also heard there were mechanical problems with one of the units. For nearly the last 2-3 years they have been up for sale and within the last month they were sold to Larry's Truck and Electric.

Chris

#331262  by Steve F45

That really sucks that they dont have trips on the southern division. I'de love to take a trip on one.

#331560  by washingtonsecondary

The NYS&W is in business for freight operations, not to induldge the childish fantasies of railfans.
Last edited by washingtonsecondary on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#332087  by Tadman

what's the popemobile?

#332128  by trainfreak

Walter Rich's personal car. I believe is a dome car with a glass window at one end of it so he can peer out of the end as they roll along...however the latter part of that im not sure of. It is indeed a dome car however...im pretty sure its number is 510.

#342797  by trainfreak

Thats a pretty sad sight...

#342798  by amoreho1

trainfreak wrote:Thats a pretty sad sight...
yes it is