Railroad Forums 

• How many heavy weight cars does nysw have?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#325807  by Steve F45

I see some parked on dead end tracks and used as offices or stores, like in rochelle park and wychoff. But does nysw have any 6 axle passenger cars that are operable?

#338747  by BlockLine_4111

Do they still own and operate the CACV "Otsego Lake" and is that a 6 axle?

#338770  by Steve F45

i know of maybe 3 heavy weight cars, 2 of which are used for office or retail.

#339209  by scottychaos

One of the cars was originally LV 1551, the "Black Diamond"
(the car itself was named the "Black Diamond" and it was also used on the train called "The Black Diamond")

currently used as a business office by NYSW, Cooperstown NY

I dont know if it has 6-axle trucks now, but it did originally.
I have never seen a current picture of it in Cooperstown.

here is a pic of the coach from 1973, before it belonged to the NYSW:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/lv/lv-co1551adc.jpg

Scot

#339491  by Steve F45

scotty i sent you an email about another nysw ex erie steamer. I also found another one, but no # listed on it.

#354372  by lvrr325

scottychaos wrote:One of the cars was originally LV 1551, the "Black Diamond"
(the car itself was named the "Black Diamond" and it was also used on the train called "The Black Diamond")

currently used as a business office by NYSW, Cooperstown NY

I dont know if it has 6-axle trucks now, but it did originally.
I have never seen a current picture of it in Cooperstown.

here is a pic of the coach from 1973, before it belonged to the NYSW:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/lv/lv-co1551adc.jpg

Scot
That's because you can't get a photo of it at Cooperstown. I was down there for some reason or other where I had time to stop and look and on one side is the station and on the other side is old boxcars (painted nice, used for storage or something). You can see maybe 6 feet of one side of it clearly from any vantage point. It's (it was?) easier to shoot the ex-Erie coach in Utica. (car was reported sold to LA&L, don't know if it's been moved at all, was in very rough shape).

The LV car was a Rahway Valley office for many years, moved to Cooperstown when the D&O took over the RV, I doubt they changed anything - it's moved the one time only since the RV bought it and that would have been around 1961 or so (maybe later, if the LV kept it around for MOW or other service).

There is at least one heavyweight obs in service with their excursion cars but I think the rest are all 4-axles.

I believe the CACV obs is stuffed and mounted along with the 0-6-0 there in Cooperstown, I was interested in the LV car and I don't remember much detail about what else was there.