Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W DISPATCHERS office Pics

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#324707  by Phase Gap

Does anyone have pics of the inside of the dispatcher office for the NYS&W? I am just wondering what how there office is set up and user friendly...Thanks

#324732  by Steve F45

Where is the dispatchers office located? Do they have a northern division and southern division dispatcher?

#324762  by Noel Weaver

2005Vdub wrote:Where is the dispatchers office located? Do they have a northern division and southern division dispatcher?
The NYS&W dispatcher's office is at Cooperstown, NY in the office building
which at one time was the D&H freight house. This building has been
re-modeled several times in the process.
The last I knew there was one dispatcher for the whole railroad, there is
a lot of territory but the traffic density probably does not justify more than one dispatcher.
Noel Weaver

#324830  by Steve F45

Noel Weaver wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:Where is the dispatchers office located? Do they have a northern division and southern division dispatcher?
The NYS&W dispatcher's office is at Cooperstown, NY in the office building
which at one time was the D&H freight house. This building has been
re-modeled several times in the process.
a lot of territory but the traffic density probably does not justify more than one dispatcher.
Noel Weaver
interesting. Always thought they were in that one converted box car at little ferry.

I know that shortlines to stackpacks' book has a small picture of the dispatchers area.

#325081  by jmp883

2005Vdub wrote:
I know that shortlines to stackpacks' book has a small picture of the dispatchers area.
I don't know about that.....I've gone through my entire copy of that book and unless there has been an updated release of the book the only photo involving the dispatchers was a shot of 3-4 of them taken outside.

Noel Weaver wrote:

I do believe Noel is correct. I've heard many times on the scanner when a Southern Division train or maintenance foreman has been calling Cooperstown several times, only to be told by the dispatcher that he was handling a train on the Northern Divison (or on the phone, etc.)

#325086  by Steve F45

I gotta find where I saw a pic of the dispatch console with the 2 screens.

#325192  by Steve F45

i can't find where i saw it. I thought it was in the railfan and railroad mag abotu the return of stacks to nysw back in '87. But its not.

#325285  by L&HR C&S

There is a photo of the Dispatchers desk on the Volunteer Railroaders Association's web site. During a motorcar trip on the CACV in 2006, the group had a tour of the Cooperstown HQ.

The top computor screen is CP Forks, the bottom two are the Central New York Railroad. Port Jervis is on the right, CP Coles in Binghamton is on the left.

http://www.vratrips.org/images/Cooperst ... Board.html

#325326  by Steve F45

thats the pic i've seen, thought it was on print. Thanks for the pic.

#325334  by amoreho1

i didnt think it would be that advanced also are nysw units gps eqipped or do they radio in every now and then? (just out of curiosity)

#325389  by Steve F45

amoreho1 wrote:i didnt think it would be that advanced also are nysw units gps eqipped or do they radio in every now and then? (just out of curiosity)
They radio in when they pass certain points of the railroad, ie. calling clear of park, little ferry yard limits, PC, ba, and so forth. Depending on where they make up the train usually determines where they call clear of.

#325466  by cjvrr

That photo of the dispatcher's office is from a set of digital photos I took from inside the "room". Most of the other photos were too blurry to post. The room is on the northern end of the NYS&W Cooperstown Headquarters building in the basement.

If memory serves me correctly there are three full time dispatchers. 'Beth' is the Chief Dispatcher and there are two other gentlemen. They work different shifts so only one or two are on duty at any one time.

The room is about 10' by 12' at most. To the right of the monitors is the radio, phone bank for calling crews to come to work and for calling the van drivers. Another computer is to the right of that for actually filling out the Form "D" trainorders to each individual train. The dispatcher can reach almost everything from one chair.

Mr. Bloomfield, one of the NYS&W's VPs whom oversees day to day train operations also has a desk, phone, and computer in this room. There are several other offices and cubicles just outside the dispatcher's office.

It was a neat side tour that was set up by one of our members whom also is an engineer for the NYS&W.

Chris Vitz
VRA President

#325646  by Steve F45

I always here a dispatcher ross, he's in that book too. It amazes me at how clear the dispatchers come in down here in jersey.

#325653  by blockline4180

2005Vdub wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:

interesting. Always thought they were in that one converted box car at little ferry.

LOL, me too!! I felt like a fool when my friend told me it was in Cooperstown! :P

#325734  by trainfreak

It amazes me at how clear the dispatchers come in down here in jersey.
They do have towers on Sparta Mountain and Little Ferry I beleive they are transmitters. However i could be wrong by calling them transmitters. I do know however that going from Coop to whatever tower they go over phone wires then up to the tower. When the NYSW needed a new radio system in the early 90's my father helped them install it. He even had the "tough" task of going for a cab ride and testing the radios too! If more details are wanted I could probaly ask him next time we talk.