• Steam Returns to NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by O-6-O

I thought Walter had to sell the 142 to THS because CSX/NS 80% own
the NYS&W and do not want steam because of the liability. Does this
trip have their blessing? I sure hope so.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by rcbsd45

Walter made the decision to sell the 142 on his own(so the story goes). If there was any influence behind it from the NS/CSX, I think no one would be suprised. Question is, just how much influence. One of the better stories that had made the rounds was that CSX and NS called Walter Rich on the carpet and demanded he get rid of the 142 and ANYTHING to do with passenger service. Not the case. But, aside from the NYSW THS(of which I am a proud member), what use has the locomotive seen in the past few years? So in essence, it made sense to sell it to the THS(and not all that cheaply, BTW) since they are the primary users. As the railroad owns the Southern Division right of way directly, the "big boys" did let it be known that there would be no more passenger trips on account of liability issues. The counties own the Northern Division right of way and the railroad is basically a designated operator/leasee, and since the counties are the owners, the libility falls to them, and they have no problem with passenger service/excursions, and that's how they are able to run THESE trips, but not trips in New Jersey. In the meantime, we are all looking forward to the trips both here in NJ as well as those in NY. Should be a lot of fun.

by O-6-O

rcbsd45; Thanks for the clarification. I heard the very story you quoted.
I'll be looking forward to this trip as I always like chasin on the Northern
Division. Yes I will be purchasing a ticket to support you guys. Keep up
the great work.

STEAM ON

by Butlershops

O-6-O wrote:I thought Walter had to sell the 142 to THS because CSX/NS 80% own
the NYS&W and do not want steam because of the liability. Does this
trip have their blessing? I sure hope so.

STEAM ON

The Hawthorne Mafia (T&HS) made Walter a deal he couldn't refuse. ;-)