Railroad Forums 

• Garbage gondola unloading

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#314835  by amoreho1

i'm guessing they get tipped

#315616  by washingtonsecondary

I'm pretty sure thats not the prefered method.

#315654  by RichM

Still a good question... I don't think structurally these cars were ever intended to be tipped... there aren't rotating couplers and no apparent reinforcing members like the coal or ore gondolas have. A fair number of these originally were just modified boxcars and the like.

#315661  by cjvrr

From what I have heard they remove the debris with a backhoe.

#315770  by Steve F45

RichM wrote:Still a good question... I don't think structurally these cars were ever intended to be tipped... there aren't rotating couplers and no apparent reinforcing members like the coal or ore gondolas have. A fair number of these originally were just modified boxcars and the like.
i dont see to many converted box cars. But lots and lots of woodchip cars and ex coal hoppers.

#315780  by mainetrain

washingtonsecondary wrote:I'm pretty sure thats not the prefered method.
Thats hysterical

#315836  by RichM

Dub, I think it's a rag-tag collection of a lot of cars at the end of their service life. Whatever their previous service, I think all that matters now is that the bearings roll and the brakes work. I just believe there's no way that collection of junk can be rotated/tilted.

#315942  by ricebrianrice

Somehow I knew what the picture was going to be before I opened it!!!

So do we think they use a backhoe or such to unload them??

#315949  by ANDY117

I know that some cars have rotary couplers. Mainly the thrall gondolas. The SOUTHERN and NS cars open up on the ends.

#315970  by trainfreak

Back when the operation was new was when you saw a few of the ex boxcar converts and the old bangor and arrostock (spelling?) woodchip hoppers.

#316096  by GOLDEN-ARM

High Iron Photography wrote:http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=112668
Yeah, and those aren't gondolas, either...................

#317693  by Sir Ray

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Yeah, and those aren't gondolas, either...................
Say What?
Aren't those 'Bathtub' gondola, originally used for coal/mineral hauling.
And even if they were woodchip cars originally, they'd still meet the definition of Gondola, wouldn't they?

Anyway, from this site: http://www.wastebyrail.com/successstories.asp
The small picture in the left border gives us one vote for backhoe unloading (backhoe next to gondola, not straddling it like in some installations).
This may mean a Bobcat is loaded in to finish unloading (or, even suckier, some guys with shovels - 'paging Mike Rowe, Mr Mike Rowe...').