Railroad Forums 

• Book: Railroaded in Cooperstown: A "True" Story

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#401782  by Steamtown Observer

The railroad and Walter Rich have essentially ignored this book. I assume they could have sued or tried to get an injunction against its release but they did not. While there are many ways for companies and high-profile people to react to something like this, it appears ignoring it worked best for DO/Rich.

Since the book was obviously self-published, it implies no publisher thought the story good enough (or documented enough) to run with it. There may have been a legal response if there was a publisher (deep pockets). It would be interesting to know how many copies he printed and how many actually got sold. You wonder if he even covered his printing costs.

#402659  by RailBus63

If any of the allegations in the book were true, I would expect that one of the big upstate newspapers or even the New York Times would have run with the story - for example, the Syracuse Post-Standard has run a number of front-page stories detailing abuses of the state's Empire Zone funds. The fact that this particular story has had little mention in the mainstream media speaks volumes, IMO.

#402899  by cjvrr

RailBus,

The book details stories written in the NY Times and a segment on 20/20 just after the Poolville incident / firing.

But these items happened nearly 25 years ago. Old news...

The newest incident involving Mr. Rich and the RR was over alleged campaign contribution shenanigans was settled prior to the new governor taking office. This story was in the local newspapers.

#403080  by RichM

You guys are making me glad I never reordered from Larry when Amazon cancelled.

#433432  by pablo

I had thought about eventually getting that book, but after reading about this genius's behavior, well, it certainly casts doubt on the entire book. Not the most objective person, obviously.

David Becker

#433741  by lvrr325

yeah, the attempted actions he took implies that his deck may be missing a few cards.
 #483976  by triesel

Received this book for Christmas and already finished it! Thought it was an excellent book... For anyone ever involved in a Whistleblower case, you can understand Mr. Butler's "passion" on this topic. He paid a very high price. Being ethical is a very lonely road sometimes. Maybe it does make you a bit crazy when justice isn't served... There are too many sheep out there that just want to put blinders on and say everything is fine. But it's not..... People die and the truth is never told because of greed and special interest. It's Not OK to just forget about the actions of a now dead man.... Knowing some of the "cast of characters" during this time period (Mr. Butler excluded), I can very easily understand how the Big Fish in a small pond play..... Their opinions of themselves are really something to behold, yet in the end.....they suffer the same ailments as the common folk do. Pancreatic cancer is not a peaceful way to go, as Mr. Rich did.....

Walter may have done some good, but you know what, I'll put my money on the decorated Vietnam War navy veteran over the Lawyer any day....

By the way....did Walter really need his police chief to take is dirty underwear to his mothers house for cleaning?? What's up with that?? Nice legacy to leave behind...........

#484001  by Otto Vondrak

triesel - LOL wow your first post and everything! thanks for sharing your opinion about this "great book" that we all ignored when it came over over a year ago... ;-)

#484035  by scottychaos

A shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage others unaware of the set-up to purchase said goods or services or support the political group's ideological claims.

Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Scot

#484075  by triesel

"If [a] book be false in its facts, disprove them; if false in its reasoning, refute it. But for God's sake, let us freely hear both sides if we choose." --Thomas Jefferson to N. G. Dufief, 1814. ME 14:127

#484084  by pablo

Scotty, nicely done. Shill it is. And then we get a rebuttal from Jefferson. Is this a great Christmas or what?

As for the Veteran, isn't he the guy that went to jail the day that Rich passed for messing with the lowering of the flag?

Dave Becker

#484120  by triesel

pablo wrote:Scotty, nicely done. Shill it is. And then we get a rebuttal from Jefferson. Is this a great Christmas or what?

As for the Veteran, isn't he the guy that went to jail the day that Rich passed for messing with the lowering of the flag?

Dave Becker
Come on there Einstein...if you and your back slapping buddies have all the answers...how about you give Butler a call and debate the "facts" one by one with him on this forum.... I don't know the ex-chief personally, but I'm sure he would love to debate you on it....Until then, I'll support the words of a decorated war veteran who is also a service connected disabled veteran (because of his service to this country), over a guy who was having a good time at SU during the same time period (having dreams of becoming the next Commodore Vanderbilt). I know you all love your railroad and all, but the ends don't always justify the means.

#484121  by charlie6017

I would love for Butler to get on this forum---I would ask him to explain his nutty behavior!

Now, I support all Veterans and my own Father was a Vietnam Vet, but that's no excuse nor a reason to believe his "story".

I read the book, and I think it's a bit far-fetched.......but that's my opinion.

#484149  by Noel Weaver

I have said this before but I will say it again, I think this book is simply
"sour grapes" for someone who probably got fired for cause.
There are two sides to every story and unfortunately one of the
individuals is no longer able to state his side although I do not think he
needed to do that.
I would not waste my money on this book and have no interest in owning
nor reading it. It is not really good railroad reading.
Noel Weaver