Railroad Forums 

• Franklin Trackwork

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#294276  by ap621

I noticed as I was crossing the Rt 631 Viaduct in Franklin NJ yesterday that there appeared to be trackwork going on below the bridge, I didn't have time to stop and see what was going on; does anybody know?

#294367  by Steve F45

someone from another board said a crew will be welding the rails.

#294411  by NJ Vike

2005Vdub wrote:someone from another board said a crew will be welding the rails.
Yes. That is true.

On a sad note, someone stole the old NYS&Y Crossbuck on Corkhill Road. I have my eye on eBay. Hopefully we will catch the person.

#294416  by GOLDEN-ARM

Are you sure it was stolen, and not replaced? The law requires crossbucks, to be of a standard size, color and reflectivity. This is the third time, in recent weeks, someone at RR.Net has reported their "favorite" crossbuck missing, to be replaced by a new one. If it was stolen, you can bet it's in someone's train room, or basement, and probably won't be seen, on eBay. Sad to know, if it WAS jacked, though..... :(

#294527  by ap621

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Are you sure it was stolen, and not replaced? The law requires crossbucks, to be of a standard size, color and reflectivity. This is the third time, in recent weeks, someone at RR.Net has reported their "favorite" crossbuck missing, to be replaced by a new one. If it was stolen, you can bet it's in someone's train room, or basement, and probably won't be seen, on eBay. Sad to know, if it WAS jacked, though..... :(
No It wasn't replaced because that line was abandoned years ago and there isn't even any rails on it. This is a different line that is nearby the one being welded. I was upset to see it gone too.

Thank you for the information!

#295970  by NJ Vike

Yes - gone for good. If you have the L&HR book by Rick Pennisi (SP?) there's a picture of a trian heading out of the mine at Ogdensburg.

The old crossbucks on the live line at Limecrest have been replaced with gates and signals.

#296106  by GOLDEN-ARM

No rails, and abandoned years ago? It would seem more suprising, that it lasted as long as it did. Things have a way of "disappearing" even on the busiest of lines. Some long abandoned property, sounds amazing it lasted this long, although it's sad, that it didn't make it to a museum, or historical society....... :(