Railroad Forums 

• NYSW sighted in Lodi, NJ - 6/9

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#255036  by Steve F45

I dont know what told me to head on over to the lodi branch but as i
did i heard on the scanner ws-3 asking for a form d to mp14 in
lodi. I started thinking it would be great to catch it going across
rt.17. Well when i goto to garibaldi i drove down along the work
site and saw they had the ballast machines all running. I then
heard ws-3 asking for permission to go down the lodi industrial.
Shot right over to homedepot to get a good area to shoot from.
Heard them say shoving west.

In the 22 years i've lived in bergen county i have seen them cross
17 i think twice. Both in the late 80's to very early 90's. I was
a kid then and can't tell you what engine's or any other details.

But i parked in homedepot walked to the fence along the tracks,
looked down and saw the head end coming at me i was ecstatic. Saw
the white strobe flash, all lights turn red. up and down, side to
side the cars went. Soon it got close to 17 and the ligths and bell
were activated. Took awhile for most of the n/b traffic to stop. I
guess the site of a huge rail car only 6 feet from them did it. S/B
came to a stop as soon as the lights went on.

Anyway enough of me rambling on about this, but it was just soooo
cool to see it finally cross rt.17, let along in the middle of the
am rush!!! Here's the pics, oh and 2 pics of the NJT cars in
hawthorne.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=13275

#255198  by NJT Rider

This crossing is marked EXEMPT, you can see the signs in the photo's. Why is it marked EXEMPT if it is still used from time to time???

#255268  by BlockLine_4111

Wow, they used a 3040 on the branch. I'd expect an 1800 here as they were standard power back in hey day. But then again I have seen them use a SD45 on the line to Garfield, which in my opinion was risky operation on the tight curves to GSP.

#255532  by RichM

The precise meaning of exempt means that school buses, HAZMAT carriers, etc... are not required to come to a complete stop at the crossing. Watch a school bus at a crossing, the driver must stop, look both ways, then proceed. Kind of an interesting scenario on Route 17.

#255866  by NYSW13000

NJT Rider wrote:This crossing is marked EXEMPT, you can see the signs in the photo's. Why is it marked EXEMPT if it is still used from time to time???
My mother is a school bus driver and Rich is absolutely correct. Also, they only usually place an "exempt" sign at a grade crossings that is not used on a regular basis, but is still in use.

#255958  by RichM

I drove north on Route 17 late last night... it did appear that the EXEMPT signs are new at the crossing, maybe between NJ DOT and NYS&W this is the first indication that the crossing is going to be upgraded along with the branch. It is mighty bumpy there, for both the road and the rails.

#256043  by Steve F45

RichM wrote:I drove north on Route 17 late last night... it did appear that the EXEMPT signs are new at the crossing, maybe between NJ DOT and NYS&W this is the first indication that the crossing is going to be upgraded along with the branch. It is mighty bumpy there, for both the road and the rails.
unless you drive a tank, stay out of the middle lane when approaching the crossing. Huge chunk of roadway missing along the north side of the rails in that lane.

#258777  by alewifebp

The crossing is jarring for cars whether you are on 17 or on Essex. I experienced three years of almost daily driving over that crossing.

The exempt signs have been in place for as long as I can remember. Indeed, for years, I never knew the branch was still being served. Although, I have been on and seen buses that cross on 17, and they always have stopped.

Don't drive through that area after a heavy rain storm either. It floods easily.

#289648  by NJT4207

Hey,
The exempt sign allows buses to cross the tracks without stopping.Otherwise,the buses have to pullover,stop,& make sure no train is coming.Then procede.

#289650  by Steve F45

Buses and some tanker trucks still stop and pull over even with the exempt signs.

Oh and some debris cars are now stored on the newly rebuilt siding.

#289721  by GOLDEN-ARM

VDub said you saw trains twice, in the late 80's, early nineties. You most likely saw the 1802, and/or the 116. That's the two I ran, any time I went across the "street", at Lodi. Always stopping for soda, coffee, or whatever, at the car wash/convenience store, before "running the guantlet", it was strictly "BLOW & GO", with absolutely no regard, for traffic. I would notch 'em out, set a minimum, and hold down the horn, and never gave a thought, to any autos. The lights were working back then, and anyone dumb enough to hit the train, deserved it. (never hit anyone, there, however) A funny recollection just came to me. We had finished the branch, spotting some cars, and were coming out lite engine, with the 116. As we climbed the hill, towards the mainline, the engine died, and wouldn't restart. We coasted it down, past the apartments, to level ground, and tried again. She restarted, but died on the hill, again. A quick check of the fuel tank, revealed she was empty. Just enough fuel to run, while level, but not enough to run a grade. One last attempt, from the car wash, at a very high speed,(for the Lodi Branch) failed to gain enough momentum, to make the crest of the hill. A cab ride back to WS, and another crew rescued her, the following day, as we still had to go switch out Edgewater, before we could call it a night. Regards :wink:

#289747  by Steve F45

G-A, i wouldn't even remember what engine it was back then. But im sure it was either.

The lights and bells still work, they worked that day i cought them running across 17.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics from the lodi or edgewater branches would you?

1 last question. When was the last time nysw crossed rt.46 in lodi? It wasn't till a few years agot that they finally ripped up the crossing.

#289751  by GOLDEN-ARM

When I first got there, in late '86, the tracks went to the edge of the crossing, but I don't recall them going all the way across. (there was a "berm" of dirt, to keep us off the crossing, later a fence was built. ) We had to work up to the very end of the track, to spot the industries there, and access the run-around, while it was in service. Thinking about this, I guess the tracks were still in the pavement, or we wouldn't need the berm, just some ties, or wheelstops. Lodi was still pretty busy, in the late 80's. We switched it, six nights a week, with the chemical plant on the north side, a propane plant on the south side, and a warehouse also on the south side, and one lone siding, into another building, at the end of the line, just east of 46. Edgewater was also still somewhat busy, with a plastics place receiving cars, and I also seem to recall spotting cars of fertilizer (ammonium nitrate) there, as well. Good Times, with a bunch of guys, who were so fun to work with, I have yet to see another place, to match it. :-D Regards