• Decapods

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by pjb

:-
Were the Russians used all over the property? - If not, where was their
service area?
Thank You, PJB

by RichM

I believe primarily on coal drags from Stroudsburg east, and general freight east and west. I don't believe the Hanford line had heavy enough rail for them... but I'll defer to superior knowledge. All the photos I've seen have been east of Butler.

by gravelyfan

Decapods did serve the Hanford Branch.

by RichM

Interesting. After I posed my note, I realized that most of the steam engine repairs and inspections were performed in Middletown, NY for quite some time... made me think that either the engine moves were made light, or they traveled up the Erie to get there. I'd be interested in seeing photos if you find any.

by gravelyfan

These aren't from photos, but entries on a sheet titled:

"Engine Assignment _______________" with the date filling in the blank.

The top sheet in this pile is dated February 28, 1941; here is some info gleaned from the sheet:

Decapod 2435 pulled mixed train 907 west from Butler to Sussex and returned with mixed train 930. The 966 handled the train from Jersey City to Butler and the 963 handled the eastbound run from Butler. I believe that the "mixed" element (ie freight) only ran west of Butler, east of Butler it was passenger only.

The 2481 ran the M&U PD (Per Diem) Haul this day.

Some others of note:
2492 ran the westbound from Little Ferry to Hainesburg (although it's listed as the WS & BG Extra, I think BG was the Stroudsburg Telagraph symbol).

2484 ran the BG & WS Extra

Other freight jobs listed include the BR Haul (Croxton)
A&P Haul (A&P Warehouse North Hawthorne)
Coal Job (presume Edgewater Dumper)
WS & BA (Butler) Wayfreight
BO (Bogota) Drill
Roustabout ??
RS (Paterson) Drill
BA&WS Wayfreight
Ford Job (Edgewater Ford Plant)
Speedway (Hump job at Little Ferry)
AC Drill (Passaic)
Northern Extension (Edgewater)
Southern Industrial (Edgewater)

Several of these jobs ran on multiple tricks.

8 steam locos (not decapods) ran passenger trains this date, plus the Erie doodlebug 5012.

Engine 972 was at O&W Middletown Shop

Engines 969, 2445, 2454, 2461 and 2514 were all at Little Ferry for repairs or tests.
  by PeteB

Pardon the reply 4 plus years later, but I have recently revised my article on the "NYS&O", New York, Susquehanna & Ontario, which was originally published by the M&NJ RHS in volume 3 #1 & 2, and which has now just been posted on the O&W RHS website. The article deals with the "cooperation" between the NYS&W and the NYO&W as the NYS&W sought to break free of the Erie. At one point the two roads considered a joint operation under the banner of the NYS&O with the M&U as the connecting link. For about 15 months, starting around Dec. 30, 1939, the NYO&W shipped as many as 60 carloads of anthracite daily to the M&U which interchanged them to the NYS&W at Hanford (M&U Jct.). This traffic suddenly ceased on 3/22/41 when it was rerouted via Cornwall and the West Shore RR to Little Ferry and interchange to the NYS&W (thus cutting the M&U out).

Since the engine assignment sheet is dated 2/28/41, it is in the period of the heavy coal traffic via Hanford. So, I suspect that the M&U PD (Per Diem) was NYS&W's daily attempt to forward the coal hoppers back to the M&U by midnight to avoid having to pay the car hire. There would not have been a big need to run this train in other eras as it would not have been justified by the relatively low volume of the M&U interchange. Similarly, I suspect the Coal Job may not be a job to work Edgewater Dumper but perhaps the job to haul the coal from Hanford Jct. to Little Ferry/Edgewater.

Just my thoughts on the matter, nothing you can take to the bank without further documentation.