Railroad Forums 

• ALCO's Biting the Dust?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#419804  by Alcoman

RichM wrote:The rumor du jour on the CSX forum is that CSX will be returning the SD 40-2's that are on lease by year's end. With an EMD rebuilder in the area again, seems like there may be some "new" power available.
What does this have to do with the topic?

#419815  by pablo

John, it's got nothing to do with it, and the moron that posted that has no proof either.

After all we've said, all we've seen, it seems doubtful that the NYSW will be looking to purchase units anytime soon, if ever.

David Becker

#419816  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:John, it's got nothing to do with it, and the moron that posted that has no proof either.

After all we've said, all we've seen, it seems doubtful that the NYSW will be looking to purchase units anytime soon, if ever.

David Becker
My thoughts exactly!

#419894  by RichM

I'm I moron?

Maybe my post was too short... but the point was, I'm not sure if Susquehanna is having a liquidation sale, has determined the Alco's require too much maintenance, or they just believe they have surplus power now... BUT with the potential that many of the SD 40-2's that were rebuilt for the leasors coming back, IF Susquehanna required additional power later, there would be EMD's available shortly that your local rebuilders could handle better than the specialized knowledge required to keep the Alco's running.

Peace, guys?

#419902  by Alcoman

RichM wrote:I'm I moron?

Maybe my post was too short... but the point was, I'm not sure if Susquehanna is having a liquidation sale, has determined the Alco's require too much maintenance, or they just believe they have surplus power now... BUT with the potential that many of the SD 40-2's that were rebuilt for the leasors coming back, IF Susquehanna required additional power later, there would be EMD's available shortly that your local rebuilders could handle better than the specialized knowledge required to keep the Alco's running.

Peace, guys?
That explains it much better, but its a big question to as to the future of NYSW motive power picture.
I just think that LA&L made them a deal they could not refuse on the Alcos.
A Win-Win for both parties....

#419914  by pablo

And we've just "talked" about this using PM's, but my calling RichM a moron was a mistake. There is a moron here that's posting rumors about CSX' SD40-2's and presenting it as fact, but it's not RichM. I didn't see his little quote there. My most humble and sincere apologies.

Dave Becker

#420032  by GOLDEN-ARM

No name calling, gents. How about we don't supply any more rumors, and just stick with the facts. If you don't have those, don't post about it. Thanks :-D

#420113  by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:No name calling, gents. How about we don't supply any more rumors, and just stick with the facts. If you don't have those, don't post about it. Thanks :-D
GA,
thats always a good idea (sticking only with facts..)
but there is also a problem with that..
if we only posted facts, all ELEVEN pages of this topic should not even exist! :wink:

personally, I think talking about rumors is fine...because half the time rumours lead to facts..and we wouldnt even know what was ging to happen to these units if no one ever posted rumors..

its a fine line I know...but lets be honest..railfans thrive on rumors! :wink:
it gives us all something to talk about..

Scpt

#420145  by Luther Brefo

And the other half of the time, rumors are completely false and do not contribute anything. Just be careful and if you must share a rumor, let it be known that it is a rumor and has no factual basis as of yet.

#420164  by ANDY117

Someone from the LAL (apparently) came out and inspected the units in Binghamton last Monday, according to a person I know at NYSW who was there.

Hey Luther, now you can join in the pool of people begging Atlas for an HO C/M636! :-D :wink:

#420174  by Luther Brefo

ANDY117 wrote:Someone from the LAL (apparently) came out and inspected the units in Binghamton last Monday, according to a person I know at NYSW who was there.

Hey Luther, now you can join in the pool of people begging Atlas for an HO C/M636! :-D :wink:
You're right Andy. It would make me happy if Atlas brought this yet to be produced model in plastic with all of the variations needed.

Andy, how many of the 636's have been moved to Bingo? Last I heard, it was four, have any of the others in Utica been prepped for movement?

#420185  by lvrr325

It does seem logical that the NYS&W would lease or buy 4 or 5 EMDs of some sort, since they have been using 3 or 4 of these units right along, so as not to be short on power for the time being. There's no shortage of available units. Heck, maybe they can make a deal to store units in exchange for use of a few of them.

I also have heard from other sources stories claiming CSX will not need a lot of it's leased power by year's end; the way I heard it had it possible some of the units on lease could go to scrap, but it would seem more likely they'd be stored in case they were needed in the future, given the way rail traffic can surge and change in various seasons. And even if I were to scrap them, I'd store them until winter when scrap is high before I sold them off.

Either way it could create a glut on the power market and allow for some cheap power to be available again. For a while there you could buy a running well-used SD40-2 or variant for not much more than you'd pay for a brand new SUV.

#420189  by RichM

Uh oh, look out LV, you're first of all applying business logic, and secondly making people think... you might get a blast...

... on the other hand, I agree with you completely!

#420389  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:It does seem logical that the NYS&W would lease or buy 4 or 5 EMDs of some sort, since they have been using 3 or 4 of these units right along, so as not to be short on power for the time being. There's no shortage of available units. Heck, maybe they can make a deal to store units in exchange for use of a few of them.
3 or 4??
there are 24 EMD's on the current roster..

Scot

#420415  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:It does seem logical that the NYS&W would lease or buy 4 or 5 EMDs of some sort, since they have been using 3 or 4 of these units right along, so as not to be short on power for the time being. There's no shortage of available units. Heck, maybe they can make a deal to store units in exchange for use of a few of them.
3 or 4??
there are 24 EMD's on the current roster..

Scot
I think he meant that they have been using 3 to 4 of the 636s all along and may look to lease 3 or 4 EMDs to replace them as the 636s leave the property.