Railroad Forums 

• ALCO's Biting the Dust?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#383204  by ricebrianrice

What are the current status of the Alcos:
Here is what I know

3664, Lost in CSX Land still??, possibly Selkirk, or might actually be back in Utica??
3668 returned to service 3/30/2007
3670 OOS Binghamton, Reason??
3672, Binghamton, restricted to local service, 10 mph, due to bad #1 traction motor.

Others???

#383224  by Steve F45

3664 was that the one with 3634 that wound up in buffalo, then chicago, then back to jersey and then sat in selkirk? if so then its in utica with 3634.

3668 is back down here in NJ. It came down with 2066/3012 on the su100.

and no, its not painted.

#383324  by Tadman

Watching 3670 do local service must be kind of like watching Monon C628's shunting cars, which I understand happened quite frequently - the story goes, someone ordered these C628's for coal service, coal trains never materialized, and (3) 628's were too much for the daily road frieghts and (2) weren't enough - solution? Rebuild the RS2's currently working local freights, splice a set of C628's with an RS2 for the road power, and let one 628 bang cars around Lafayette, run locals, or take the freight up the roaring thoroughfare that was the Michigan City, IN, branch. It's too bad Monon got rid of their big alcos in trade for C420's, as the L&N could have put them to good use four years later down south. But if anybody gets the NYSW big alcos on tape, please please please post it to youtube. There's little Alco footage there.

#383772  by ricebrianrice

3666 is still in Utica getting an Updated computer system. Any idea on a time frame for completion?

#384049  by GOLDEN-ARM

Too bad they got rid of the 628's? Those 9 ex-Monon luggers became beautiful Snowbirds, hauling tonnage for the LV, and then for ConRail afterwards. The track destroying capabilities of those Tri-Mount trucks were tolerated on the Valley, and they were run to capacity, daily. Monons loss, was a huge gain, for the Valley. (kind of like the deals Walter has been scrounging up, to fill out his roster, over the years) Not really a fan of the black paint scheme, those red, white and black 'Birds, were awesome......... :-D

#386307  by Tadman

No questions there, Dave. Snowbirds are a very easy on the eyes. I don't think I've seen a LV paintjob I didn't like, from the maroon to the snowbirds and the grey C420's. I understand the NYSW isn't prepared to dump $100k into painting the big C's yet, so I'm not criticising, but I sure would like to see at least one in ylw/blk.

#390680  by ricebrianrice

3664 & 3666 reported being load tested in Utica 3/20/07.

3666 is the test bed for the new computer system, so it must be close to coming back into service.

#390772  by ricebrianrice

No reason to apologize!

Maybe if 3666's computer upgrade turns out a success, we might just see it in Yellow Jack.

#390785  by scottychaos

Tadman wrote:Sorry, I just couldn't resist doing this on a quiet morning...

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 246&size=o
Nice! :P

I did one too, (already posted in this thread..probably)

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... ehanna.jpg

Scot

#390832  by Tadman

Scotty yours looks more realistic, (I have no idea how to do photoshopping like that) but I'm a big fan of my grey trucks and lightening stripe behind the cab - allows for fully black mechanical parts to prevent smoke and soot messiness from showing. The grey trucks are a throwback to the C420s and C430's. I made mine this morning while eyeballing a googled image of a yellowjacket tunnel motor, and I kept thinking "didn't the 430's have silver trucks???" As a kid I had a pic of a 430 posted in my room for ten years - it was taken from an old Ditlefson calendar, and I think it was 3002 being washed by shop crews. While we're working on Mr. Rogers' railroad to makebelieveland, I'd move the headlights back up to the numberboard and 86 the bell.

But hey, alcos never make smoke or soot...

#390929  by Steve F45

i love the silver trucks too. Whats cool is some of the gp18's not sure which ones, the black paint is peeling off and the silver is showing again.

All my nysw ho models im building are going to have silver trucks.

#391215  by Otto Vondrak

If the M636's are ending their useful life on the NYSW, where could they go next? Do they have any resale value at this point?

#391247  by pablo

I've seen it twice now: where has it been said that the 636's are ending their useful life? I'm not doubting, just asking.

Dave Becker