Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W 0119 caboose

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#207960  by caboose9

Hi,

I'm trying to straighten out 2 reports giving different locations for what may be the same caboose.

The caboose across from the Warwick, NY, L&HR Station marked as L&HR 20 has been reported as a "fake" paint job on NYS&W 0119.

Recently, a caboose in Easton, MD, has been ID'ed as a PRR 4/43 built cabin car whose last, now fading, lettering was NYS&W 0119.

The most likely explanations appear to be:

1. One of these isn't/wasn't NYS&W 0119, and

2. One is 0119 (1) and the other is 0119 (2), a replacement.

Does anyone know more about these basking beauties?

Is there a listing of NYS&W former and current cabooses on a web site?

Thanks, Roger

#231848  by MDDE_Fan

Hi Roger,
Im a resident of Easton, and I have a few shots of the one here, which I'm adding in, I Don't know if they'll help though.
I can also look for marks or the builders plate if some one can tell me where it might be, and get more shots of it (Such as the frame or something)

They also have a neat little narrow guage there! :-D
 #231868  by caboose9

MDDE_Fan wrote, "I'm a resident of Easton and I have a few shots of the one here. I can also look for marks or the builders plate if some one can tell me where it might be."

Hi,

It ahs now been determined that the Easton, MD, caboose is likely a PRR cabin car dressed up as a NYS&W.

Below are some thoughts on ID'ing cabooses.

Thanks, Roger

IDENTIFYING THE RAILROAD AND NUMBER OF A CABOOSE

There are a number of ways to identify the railroad from which a caboose originated. If the caboose has lettering on it for a railroad that used that style caboose it is probable the caboose is from that road but always use caution in accepting the markings as correct. Cabooses are painted into many schemes including those of railroads on which they did not run. For example, L&N 6284 is repainted into "ATSF 999284" at Shawnee, OK. An old paint job and/or trucks from the same railroad as the markings are good signs that the markings are correct.

Places to check for letters and numbers that might identify the car include the center sill (main beam), cast into the truck frames, and/or stenciled on truck cross frames or axles. If the ACI panel, the colorful UPC style bar code, is present and readable check the number on that. The car number is on the left side and reads up for 6 or fewer numbers to the word "STOP". It would be best to try this method on a car or two of known number to be sure you understand how this works.

If the caboose has no visible markings on the sides, ends above or adjacent to the door, roof ends, cupola, frame, or trucks, the number might be found inside the car above the doors or desk or in the bay or cupola. Also look in the closets and cabinets for safety rules or other notices that may bear the car number. Older cars may have the road number under cushions or on other appliances as repaired equipment used to be returned to the same caboose it came from.

If no markings of any kind are found it is possible that the painted over markings will show through the new paint when viewed at a certain angle or under certain lighting conditions.

If all else fails check to see if photos of the car were taken before the repainting took place. Owners will often have shots of the caboose being loaded at the railhead for movement to their site and being put in place on their property which may show the original letters and numbers. Another source of "before" photos would be local railfans or, for a fairly recent placement, the local newspaper.

Good luck with your caboose identifications!

#276242  by amoreho1

there is an NYSW caboose on the former lehigh trackage in Cortland N.Y.
(close to PENDLETON ST. crossing as of last week)
i didnt see number

#276268  by Steve F45

what about the one at pompton lakes? is that a real nysw caboose?

#276277  by amoreho1

its all yellow w/ Susquehanna s below bay window

#276339  by NYSW3614

That is NYSW 0121- a former C&O or B&O bay window.

Joshua
 #276446  by John_Henry

That car in Easton, MD in the photos above is not a PRR cabin. It's an NE-6 style car. New Haven, Susie Q and others had them.

JH

caboose9 wrote:MDDE_Fan wrote, "I'm a resident of Easton and I have a few shots of the one here. I can also look for marks or the builders plate if some one can tell me where it might be."

#276494  by njmidland

The caboose in Pompton Lakes is a real NYS&W caboose. Years ago John Treen told me the caboose in Easton, MD is also a real NYS&W caboose.

Tim

#276692  by GOLDEN-ARM

Don't forget, the M&E #4 is also an original Suzy hack. Purchased by Al Holleuffer, and resold to the M&E, it's very close to original, excepting the paint job.

#279062  by caboose9

2005Vdub wrote, "what about the one at pompton lakes? is that a real nysw caboose?"

Hi V,

It's always best to include the state the town is in!

If you mean NJ, it's the real NYS&W 0111.

Roger

#279067  by caboose9

NYSW3614 wrote, "That is NYSW 0121- a former C&O or B&O bay window."

B&O C-3027/903027.

#279072  by caboose9

GOLDEN-ARM wrote, "The M&E #4 is also an original Suzy hack. Purchased by Al Holleuffer and resold to the M&E"

NYS&W 0112.
 #1118848  by SGLX1202

Ok I'm bringing up a dormant topic.
I'm trying to identify the final resting places of the NYSW cabooses from 0111-0119 and here's what I have so far.

0111-Pompton Lakes Station on NYSW
0112-Whippany Rwy Museum
0113-
0114-
0115-
0116-Critelli RR off Rt 287
0117-Catskill Mountain RR
0118-
0119-LHR 20 Warwick, NY

I have never seen pictures of all of these numbers, I assume all numbers were used.
Does anyone have any more info on the one in Easton, MD? It definitely looks like an NYSW.
I heard that one of them burned many many years ago, I believe 0115.
Can anyone fill in the blanks?