Railroad Forums 

• Need info on the NYSW E-9's

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#133745  by ANDY117

I decided to ask this here also (its also in the HO forum) But what kind of E units does the NYSW have? are they E8's or E9's? I've seen them listed as either or, and want to model them in HO.

#133858  by rcbsd45

NYSW 2400 and 2402 are classified as E-9's.

#134647  by trainfreak

Hey does anyone know if they are still on the property or have they gone to another railroad? Or are they even still on sale?
 #149008  by vector_one75

Yes, I wouldn't mind to have a model of them, but from my understanding the Susquehanna's were "different" E-9's, without portholes, and I'm not sure of what the substitution might be. From what I understand they came to Susquehanna from BNSF, and were originally Burlington's and I'm not sure if they started out as E-8's and later rebuilt at E-9's, or E-9's from the start. Also I don't know when and how and who made them porthole-less or if that's how they first came, and if any other E-9's did not have portholes.

The number of this kind of E-9 might indicate whether any HO model manufacturers like Life-Like P200 series, Athearn, Rivarossi, or Broadway Limited Imports ever produced the correct porthole-less E-9 for the Susquehanna. Having gone through the lists so far, it appears that that kitbashing is the only way to do these, but one needs some kind of drawings to know what to bash correctly, which is also a problem.

Once you kitbash them (there were only 2 on the Susquehanna), find the correct paint color and I believe there are striping and lettering decals available for them (more so than for the model itself!) . Great lookers, these E-9's, too bad Susquehanna got rid of them, and I don't know where they went to.

Maybe there are those who might know more about their details and history and things that may be necessary to know in order to properly model them.

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia

#149013  by 56-57

no portholes and the 2400 is in Utica right by the water level route, on the dead line.
 #149085  by n01jd1

vector_one75 wrote:Yes, I wouldn't mind to have a model of them, but from my understanding the Susquehanna's were "different" E-9's, without portholes, and I'm not sure of what the substitution might be. From what I understand they came to Susquehanna from BNSF, and were originally Burlington's and I'm not sure if they started out as E-8's and later rebuilt at E-9's, or E-9's from the start. Also I don't know when and how and who made them porthole-less or if that's how they first came, and if any other E-9's did not have portholes.

The number of this kind of E-9 might indicate whether any HO model manufacturers like Life-Like P200 series, Athearn, Rivarossi, or Broadway Limited Imports ever produced the correct porthole-less E-9 for the Susquehanna. Having gone through the lists so far, it appears that that kitbashing is the only way to do these, but one needs some kind of drawings to know what to bash correctly, which is also a problem.

Once you kitbash them (there were only 2 on the Susquehanna), find the correct paint color and I believe there are striping and lettering decals available for them (more so than for the model itself!) . Great lookers, these E-9's, too bad Susquehanna got rid of them, and I don't know where they went to.

Maybe there are those who might know more about their details and history and things that may be necessary to know in order to properly model them.

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia

All E-9's had portholes as built. When the original carbody panels rusted out, the railroads would replace them and not replace the portholes as it was easier to do as they did not have to dedicate the time and effort to cut the holes in the steel for the portholes.

#455984  by Sid Farkus

What types of horns are on the E9s?