Railroad Forums 

• Utica Yards

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#104622  by uticajack

Does anybody know if the NYS&W plans to use the turntable area in Utica again? The 2 jade green boxcars that were stored there were removed before Christmas, and there has been a crew in there removing the debris for the past several weeks. It would be nice to see it in operation again.

Jack
 #104661  by JoeCollege

Here's a stupid question or two. Please forgive my ignorance.

1.) When a train goes North to Utica, must the engine return essentially in reverse or is there a wye somewhere to change direction? If not, I guess I can see the need for the turntable.

2.) There is some trackage along route 12 that looks abandoned, maybe severed, in the city, passing a food warehouse, laundrymat and bar. Is that gone? former O&W?

3.) headed from 12 to the mall some tracks cross route 5; there are no gates. Are those active? I don't get to Utica much so I just don't know.

4.) Do MA&N and NYSW do any interchange?

#104667  by uticajack

Joe,
To answer your questions in order:

1) The only 'wye' that is near Utica is at Richfield Junction approx. 12 miles south of Utica. So currently, an engine cannot be turned at Utica and runs in reverse leaving.
2) The trackage along side of Rt. 12, south of Oswego St. is active. That's the NYS&W (ex. DL&W) main. Just north of Oswego St there was a switch that controlled the Schuyler St. main / Fay St. Warehouse siding. The switch points were pulled out several years ago and that portion of trackage is currently unused. This portion of the trackage north of Oswego St is ex. NYO&W.
3) The tracks that cross Rt. 5 / Rt. 12 in New Hartford are active. They are traffic signal controlled, no gates. This is ex. NYO&W trackage. It serves Jefferson Smurfit on the east side of Rt. 12.
4) I don't believe that the NYS&W interchanges with the MA&N. They would have to cross the CSX main to do so.

Jack

#104700  by O-6-O

The 2 green box cars and a number of other old derelict cars have been
or are in the process of being scrapped on the old lead into the turntable.
I haven't heard that its been sold or being scrapped also. It seems Walter
is just thinning the herd a little.

Jack, you are 4 for 4 on the above questions, Good show.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
 #104703  by JoeCollege

Thanks, both!